Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fitting a brisket on grill

Options
skihorn
skihorn Posts: 600
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Doing my first brisket (Egg wise anyway) tomorrow night. It will also be my first overnight cook.

Just measured the brisket against the grill. Even on my Large it doesn't fit. It isn't like it is a particularly large brisket although certainly not small. Anyway, what do you guys do? I saw a picture last weekend where someone wrapped a brick in foil and used it to prop up the middle of the meat to make it fit. Even so, it is going to extend out over the plate setter on one end let alone the drip pan. Should I put foil down to prevent direct heat? Should I cut the brisket in half and do half on my Medium?

Freddie
League City, TX

Comments

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    I saw a post where someone covered the outside perimeter of their grid with HDAF. ;)
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    I put an empty soda can under it until it shrinks enough to fit without the can.

This is a 16# brisket on my medium. It will fit, just mash it in there until you can close the lid and then let it go.

16PoundBrisketMediumEgg.jpg
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    Hey Fidel. It might help if you used the right sized grid :whistle:
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Believe it or not - that is my medium grid.

It doesn't fit over the legs of the platesetter, it just rests on them.

The fit of my medium has always been an issue. There is an abnormally large gap between the firering and the outer shell also.

Oh well, it still cooks great.
  • skihorn
    skihorn Posts: 600
    Options
    Thanks. The coke can (here in Texas we don't call it soda) sounds like a good idea and easier to find than a brick (my house is made of stone). Should work just fine.

Freddie
    League City, TX
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Ski...This is the post you saw the aluminum foil wrapped brick to fit the brisket in the egg. 'Soda' can is fine too!! :laugh: Sent this because I want to now draw your attention to the foil on the grid....used to protect the ends from direct heat. Please, do not be loose with your foil inside the egg, or you will disrupt the heat flow! (Of course, this was done with the plate setter, and a drip pan.) This was absolutely, the best brisket I have had! Cudos to Bubba Tim! ;)
    ps...no liquid in the drip pan!! Strictly for catching all the fat!

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=636086&catid=1

Good luck!!
  • GriffinGaDawg
    GriffinGaDawg Posts: 332
    Options
    what about draping it across an inverted (re: flipped over) V-rack?
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    line the front and back of the egg with foil, it will just scrunch right in and shrink later. put some tinfoil or other barrier front and back but i dont really worry about it. when putting the brisket in, the thicker side wants to be over the hotter spot in the back of the egg.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • TXTriker
    TXTriker Posts: 1,177
    Options
    DSC08884.jpg

Freddie, this is what I have had to do in the past. It may be too late to help you but that is my rib rack or roaster under the brisket with foil on the ends to keep the brisket off the egg. After it shrinks up some, you can remove the rack.

Good luck.
  • bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    Options
    Freddie, just find something to raise the middle. I have used a brick covered in foil and a rib rack. Put your brisket (aka beast) on what ever and don't open the dome for the first 10 to 12 hours. It will shrink to fit on the grid of your large.

DSC00653.jpg

011.jpg

I like the brick better. You just have to unwrap and throw the foil away. Clean up done!
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP