Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Something Really Different!!!

Options
JSlot
JSlot Posts: 1,218
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well, I was pretty much bored this afternoon and I was hankerin' for something really out of the ordinary. The local folk usually go, "Uh oh!!" when I'm in this kind of mood. I don't think I scared 'em too bad today, though!! :)[p]Here's what I did............[p]<image src = "http://mywebpages.comcast.net/jaslotterback/eggrolls1.jpg">[p]<image src = "http://mywebpages.comcast.net/jaslotterback/eggrolls2.jpg">[p]
Ordinary looking egg rolls you say? Well, cut them open and.........[p]<image src = "http://mywebpages.comcast.net/jaslotterback/eggrolls3.jpg">[p]Okay, so they still look like fairly ordinary egg rolls. But they're not!! These are BRISKET egg rolls! I had about a pound of leftover Cowlicked brisket, so I sauteed some mushrooms and onions, put the brisket and veggies in the food processor to chop up a little, added more Cowlick and some salt and pepper, and deep fried 'em up. They are outstanding!![p]The only thing I'd do differently next time is chop the brisket up a little more coarsely by hand for a better texture. Otherwise, the BBQ flavor was awesome! These would be great with pulled pork, too.[p]Jim[p]

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    JSlot,[p]Sounds good! I can't believe I haven't thought of it myself...deep-fried and barbequed...my two favorite cooking methods all in one.

• Ryan
    Ryan Posts: 243
    Options
    JSlot,[p]Wow! What an awesome idea. I have some pulled pork left over from Sunday. I think I might make some "pork rolls" tomorrow...:)[p]Ryan
  • Banker John
    Banker John Posts: 583
    Options
    JSlot,
    Great looking stuff Jim. I can just imagine the conversations around the table when this was served and tasted.[p]One question, How do ya make them. What do you use for the wrapping/breading.[p]Banker John

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Options
    Thanks, John. There's really nothing to making them. I used regular Egg Roll wrappers that are usually found in the produce section near the tofu. I put the leftover brisket and some sauteed mushrooms and onions in the food processer and "pulsed" it until everything was chopped fine. I put the mixture in a bowl, added some more Cowlick rub and salt and pepper. Mixed it real well and spooned onto the Egg Roll wrappers. Wrapped per package instructions and deep fried at 360° for 3-3½ minutes. Served with Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ Sauce and some Mango Habanero Sauce I bought in Waldorf on the side. As I stated earlier, the only thing I would change would be to coarsely chop the brisket by hand instead of in the processor. The finished texture of the filling was a little too fine IMHO, although the smoked brisket flavor was awesome.[p]Jim