Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spathcock chik. technique question

Options
Eric
Eric Posts: 83
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
The latest issue of Cooks' Illustarated magazine has an atricle about Spathcock chicken (they call it some thing else).[p]In the article the test cooks start by using an idirect cooking method but put heated foil wraped bricks on top of of the chicken.
They state that this method resulted in a burned chicken and eventually settle on cooking the chicken in the "normal" way as seen on this site.[p]My question- has anyone tried placing bricks on top of the chicken to speed cooking time? Have you been sucessful? They were using a gasser, I wonder if the BGE ( with better moisturte retention and temp control) can pull the brick trick off better.

Comments

• TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Options
    337%3A8%3B5923232%7Ffp47%3Dot%3E2329%3D827%3D97%3B%3Dxroqdf%3E23233%3B3%3C83688ot1lsi
    <p />eric,[p]The beautiful thing about doing the spatchcock chicken on the Egg with the Whiz's method is that all the meat (leg, thigh, wing, breast) cooks just the right amount. The heat retention of the ceramic does the cooking from the top. Poor guys with their foil-wrapped bricks and gassers . . . [p]TRex
  • Eric
    Eric Posts: 83
    Options
    TRex,[p]Have yet to try the Whiz's method but it is on the dinner plan for this weekend.[p]Used your method for steak twice this week; I suspect that the method transforms meer beef into some form of adictive drug, making humans crave it. Now I'm at work, rocking back and forth, muttering about 750 degrees and "must let the meat rest for 15 mins", surfing the forum for pics of steak. Oh God ...what have I become?
  • QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    filet-with-fire.jpg
    <p />Eric,[p]Here's a pic of my recent atttempts of a TRex steak......
  • TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Options
    QBabe,[p]Looks like your "attempt" was a major success! Those look great![p]TRex
  • smokeypete
    smokeypete Posts: 63
    Options
    eric, the technique you describe is usually used on a chicken that has been readied in the same manner as a "spatchcocked" bird however it is generally cooked in a grill pan on the top of the stove. it has been called "chicken under a brick". i have never tried it but have talked to some who have and they had good luck with the technique. as far as i know it is not usually used on a grill or in an egg.