Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

For Ripnem and others who have to \"prove the Egg\"

Options
Eublet
Eublet Posts: 54
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Sorry if I shouldn't create a new thread here. The other was on an older page and I didn't know if anyone would see a new response. Still getting used to how this forum works!

Ripnem posted yesterday that he's been asked to cook the greatest steak ever for a friends wife so that he can buy his own Egg. I think this is a sketchy situation because in my experience because any cut of meat can come out so-so or outstanding and the method by which you cook it doesn't have to change for that to happen. So you could cook her a fantastic steak, or you could cook her something that is just "really good" and she'll think that her husbands gas grill can do that.

What I would do instead is try to make a more convincing argument over a number of meals instead of just one. Marinate some chicken, and grill one breast on gas, and one on the egg. Pickup a couple of steaks, cut side by side, and do the same. Have them compare the results of how much better the Egg-cooked food is.

Then go get some ribs, and have her try to figure out how she's going to cook them on her grill while you slow roast them in the Egg. Then buy two small whole chickens, spathcock them, and let her try and make hers taste good on some gas grill without burning the crap out of it.

I agree you should be mindful of your friends choice in the woman and not offend her. Rather than making it a competition, call it an experiment. Don't feel like you have to be in a rush to swing her over. It shouldn't take very many meals for her to be convinced. You guys can alternate who buys the food since it's more about hanging out. This is just an excuse to do that.

Another thing you could do is have her husband cook the food on your egg over beers while the women-folk are doing something else. Let her see how easy it is to turn out a great meal.

But ultimately the two of them have to deal with the finances of it all. He might have to promise her a big purchase as well. Marriage is about compromise a lot of the time, and these Egg's are not cheap.

Here is a personal story of how things worked out for me. The first time I ever had food on a BGE was with my wife, on a charter boat 50 miles off shore. Chicken breasts of all thing, and it was great. We thought it was the marinade someone used (some Mojo brand). We bought some of the marinade thinking it would make all our dry grilled chicken come out moist and tasty like it did on the charter boat, and it never worked for us very well over gas or Kingsford. Even I didn't believe the grill could make that much difference.

I had BGE food a couple times after that, but my wife did not. I slowly became convinced that it was the Egg itself, and not some marinade or rub. I wanted a BGE so bad, but I didn't want to spend the money on it either. My wife certainly didn't think it was worth it since she had only had food cooked on an Egg once, and she thought it was ridiculou what the Egg's cost. I could have really pushed the issue and my wife would have agreed to the purchase, but like I said I didn't want to spend that kind of money either. After years of looking at them in the stores, I just happened across a used XL at the exact same time that the bottom of my semi-stainless Weber rusted out. It was somewhat habit for us to spend $300 or so ever 4 years for a new gas grill, so we new what a replacement would cost. This person had a 1-year old XL for $600 with a bunch of accessories that he wanted to sell because he said the lump charcoal was too rough on his sinuses. My wife and I agreed that we wouldn't pass that up! It came with a platesetter, pizza stone, ash tool, nest and the new spring assembly!

We've had it for a little over a month now, and my wife picks out things for us to try. Steak, chicken, seafood, veggies, pizza, etc. She loves it as much as I do. The first meal isn't what did it. Consistantly eating food from the grill is what convinced her. I've always loved grilling before the egg, and she knew all too well what I was capable of cooking...always a hit-or-miss experience on gas, especially with regard to burning poultry or getting it too dry. Now that we're Egging, it seems everything we even think to try comes out really good, with a good portion of it being downright hard to believe. It wasn't me or the recipes. It's the Egg. Now me and my wife both believe this, and she tells others about what the BGE can do for them.

Here's the clincher for me. The Egg changes everything, but most folks won't believe it is the EGG that is making it all possible, at least not at first. They'll assume it's the recipe or skill of the chef. Those things are certainly important, but the EGG gets you started at a whole different level than gas or briquettes. That's the only thing anyone has to show a friend to make them a believer.

All "in my humble opinion"

Comments

• Panhandle Smoker
    Panhandle Smoker Posts: 3,018
    Options
    Well said. Great deal on the Xl by the way. :)
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    You could put it another way. Once you've cooked on an Egg, you realize how crummy most other cookers are. Suddenly, you realize that its not that you are such a bad cook, but that the tools you have been using were ruining your work.

Your suggestion to do a side by side between an Egg and a gasser is a good one. However, you are too kind in suggesting a chicken breast. How about a side by side with a pork butt between and Egg and a generic charcoal grill, in the middle of January, in a blizzard.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Don't know if it was mentioned else where, but a great selling point would be to go thru the forum posts for a month or so, and collect posted pics of all the great cooks folks have done. I didn't know about the forum until after getting the first Egg, and seeing the pics of every kind of food, even breads, pizzas and pies, would have had me opening my wallet a lot sooner than I did.
  • Eublet
    Options
    I was just thinking that it would be best to compare foods that folks are already grilling on the gas grills. A good cut of beef will always taste great to me, even if it is cooked on gas. But Chicken Breasts can be hard to do on gas without burning them or making them very dry.

And while most people have never tried a butt or briskety, many gas grill cooks have tried to do ribs since they are a bit less time consuming, only to find that it's not worth the effort at all.

Pork chops, shrimp kebobs, and other things that can really get dry and be rather ho-hum on gas a great candidates for comparison-cooks with the Egg. If you prepare the foods the same, and then cook them on two different systems, then it becomes very obvious what the difference maker really is.
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    That brings me back to my first month of Egg ownership. January, it didn't get above freezing for 10 seconds until the 31st. That pissed off the whole state, cause it would have been the coldest Jan. in 110 years. I went through about 80 lbs of lump that month (true story)

This damn woman has eatin it all from my egg. They make big bucks. She's just being a
    about it.
  • Eublet
    Options
    I wouldn't get caught up in it then. It's your friends problem unfortunately. Witchy women look for ways to be witchy. It doesn't sound like this person would admit to you having cooked her the steak of her dreams even if it were true. Her current proposal leaves all the control with her, since she can claim whatever she wants when it's over. That's the kind of thing people like that enjoy. What she's interested in is making things hard on you and having no remorse over it. I wouldn't give her that chance. If it were me, I'd cook everything BUT steaks when they come over from now on. If she brings up the competition again, tell her that you don't think the test is fair, and offer to do the side-by-side comparison over 3-5 meals and and everyone there gets a vote. I'm willing to bet she won't agree to it, and will likely accuse you of being "scared" to take her challenge. YOu just gotta be cool with that before it comes out of her mouth.

People like that tire me. I hate you have a good friend that's married to one.
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    My next move with her is to offer free lessons on her Egg. I think my good friend (her hubby) will like the results, in a couple respects.
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Hey Eublet, I bought my first egg 13 years ago without tasting any food cooked on it. I believed the concept of it would work, and boy was I right!!

Ripnem - You are being awfully nice trying to get your friend an egg for himself. You are a good friend to put up with all that.

Faith
    Tampa, FL
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    That chick just wants to show you that SHE is in control of your friend,I know you and he are buds and it's my belief that deep down she is jealous of yall's friendship.It's a mind game to her.All she wants you to do is cook her a wonderful steak so she can belittle you in front of your buddy and others.If they make the bucks you say it's certainly not the economics.That to me is the telltale sign.There is a reason divorces are expensive.....When you are married to one like her.....It' worth every penny!!! :whistle: