Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ribeye help

Options
BuffaloChip
BuffaloChip Posts: 106
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
New SBGE from the Waldorf fest on Saturday.
DSC01556.jpg

Ribeye thawed for lunch on Sunday.
DSC01476.jpg

Firebox full with CI grate on fire ring stabilized at 600 for 30 minutes.
DSC01555.jpg

Ribeye about 1 3/4" was hot tubbed for about 45 minutes in hot tap water changed every 10 minutes or so.

Put on the grate, closed dome, and thick black smoke came out of the top. Let it go for about a minute opened dome to move and resulted in huge flare up. Flipped it anyway and closed dome. Let it go another minute or so with most of the black smoke gone. Internal temp was 125 but outside was more black than a nice char. Inside was great but outside had a hint of burned taste. We were able to eat it but not what I had at WessB's which made me buy the egg in the first place.

So where did I go wrong and how do I prevent it from happening again? I'm thinking the fat was so warm from hot tubbing that it melted quickly and burned. Maybe trimming most of the fat would help? Reverse T-Rex??

--Dave

Comments

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    See my response to ripmem
  • BuffaloChip
    Options
    Pete, I did almost what you posted to a tee but didn't roast at 400*.

I say the charcoal was withing 2 inches of the grate. I did the first side about 2 minutes with a move to get cross hatch marks then about 1 minute on the other side.

The problem was the burning the fat creating the bad taste. Not sure how to not burn the fat.

BTW, good talking to you at the fest. I do intend to help with one of the military cooks if I can arrange it. If nothing else, a donation.

--Dave
  • Klag
    Klag Posts: 208
    Options
    Celtic Wolf said;

Get a top choice or prime rib-eye.

Make sure the steak is at least 1.5" thick.

Place the steak in a ziplock bag with a light coat of canola oil and a generous shot of Raising the Steaks.

Place it in a bowl of hot water (100-110 degs.) for 60 minutes.

Get your egg up to 600-650 degrees. Make sure the grate is as close to the coals as possible (FY: Those coals at 1400 plus) Sear both sides of that steak 90 seconds per side.

Cover and let sit. Setup the egg for indirect and get it down to 450. Put that seat back in for 15 minutes. Serve it to her.

What you will have is a steak that has combined the T-Rex and Hot Tub methods and it will be perfect..

----
    I follow his method exactly, to the tee. Here are pictures that go along with this method.

zambuglia275.jpg

zambuglia281.jpg

After the sear, during the rest period (20 min)

zambuglia283.jpg

After the indirect finish.

zambuglia295.jpg

zambuglia302.jpg
  • Celtic Wolf
    Options
    That is why the sear is only 90 seconds per side and then you go indirect. Indirect keeps the fat from hitting the coals.

Only other way is to go caveman. Just lay the steak on the coals. Fat can't drip if it has no way to drip. The cast iron flat pan works well too.
  • BuffaloChip
    Options
    The black smoke began almost immediately not after 90 seconds but as soon as I put them on the grate. That was the reason I pulled it after two minutes but that wasn't soon enough.

Next time I'm going to trim the fat to about 1/4" around the outside and not hot tub. I'm of the belief that the hot tubbing had the fat so warm it melted and flashed almost immediately. I didn't check the internal temp after hot tubbing but my hot water is about 130 degrees and I kept changing it to keep the temp up. I only used salt for seasoning as I was trying to prevent burning. The taste wasn't a burned taste but rather just plane ole' nasty like burnt paper.

--Dave
  • Celtic Wolf
    Options
    100-105 is all you need in the hot tub. 130 is almost medium on that steak.
  • Eggerman1
    Eggerman1 Posts: 155
    Options
    If you had not posted the photos of the cut steak I would have never believed that steak turned out that phenomenal, great looking center, I will have to try.

Do you all suggest the cast iron grate? I am wondering whether to purchase one or not.
  • Knauf
    Knauf Posts: 337
    Options
    GEt the CI Grid...you'll love it!