Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef Welllington

Smoking Bulldawg
Smoking Bulldawg Posts: 75
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Has anyone attempted a beef wellington on the egg? Please share your recipe. :)

Comments

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Do you know what it is? I mean the ingredients? I can help you with that, just have never done it on the egg.
    Am willing to help.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Stike did an amazing Wellington for Christmas 07. Hopefully he will see this and share his photos and method with you.
  • I have never cooked one, however I have read a couple of recipes in different books and it sounds great.
  • Thanks Fidel and cookn biker!
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Stike will pipe in.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    We heard about the texture issue on the paella, but would it have made a pretty picture? -RP
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    does searching the forum turn it up?
    i sh!tcanned all the photos, so those are toast.

recipe is exactly the same, only with a platesetter set-up making for indirect.

and no, AZRP, the paella looked like sh!t, but thanks for asking.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Here is one way.

Beef, Tenderloin, Wellington, Irishrog

I cooked a Beef Wellington for a competition here in Ireland about 5 years ago, and got second prize for Beef.I'll remember the details as far as possible.

1 The fillet was a centre cut of Angus Beef, about 4 inches thick, and 12 inches long and even thickness the whole way for even cooking.
    2 The pate was a rough country pate, with mushrooms, and was made almost like a terrine, with minced pork, pork fat, plenty of garlic, and seasoning. (I made the pate at home, cooked it in the EGG, and brought it with me.) There is too much work in making pate at a competition, unless you have about 3 days.
    3 Anyway, I heated the EGG to about 750 F and seared my fillet, to seal in all the juices. When the fillet was sealed I cooled it down rapidly , and closed up the EGG to bring down the temperature to 325F.
    4 I stabelised the EGG at 325F and put on my Pizza Stone to heat. I then prepared my Wellington.
    5 I used a bought (prefrozen & defrosted) Puff Pastry which I rolled out to the thickness of coin.
    6 I spread my pate on top of the puff pastry, and then laid the cold fillet on top. I coated the fillet with grain mustard, and sprinkled liberally with crushed mixed pepper corns. I then put a layer of pate on top, and folded over my puff pastry to make a parcel and seal in the beef.
    7 I brushed the pastry all over with beaten egg yolk, which gives a lovely glaze when the wellington is cooked.
    8 Anyway,
    9 I floured the pizza stone, to stop the pastry from sticking, put on the wellington and cooked the lot for I think about 35/40 minutes. (I like my beef with plenty of natural colour).
    10 The result was a delightful meal for the judges, and plenty of takers at the stand for what was left.
    11 That is my memory of my beef wellington, which I hope helps.
    12 Very important, it must be washed down with a good cold beer, or three, like any good BBQ.

Recipe Type
    Beef, Main Dish

Recipe Source
    Author: Irishrog

Source: BGE Forum, Irishrog, 2005/05/16
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Don't forget, I snapped a photo of that paella with the cellphone.

Lobster, scallops, calamari - great ingredient list.

If only you hadn't forgotten the peas...and the clams....and the whole "cooking" part of it.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Smoking Bulldawg,

I made two mistakes that you want to avoid:

1) I let the pastry get too warm before I wrapped it. That accounts for the whole post nasal drip look of it.
    2) Cut too meny vents and made them too large.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• stike
    another common mistake is to let the mushsrooms stay moist. you want to cook them down quite a bit, almost dry. they can make the bottom a sodden mess otherwise.
  • Little Steven
    stike,

agreed but that was the one I didn't make B)

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• stike
    i hearya. just making sure the dude got all the easy mistakes to make.

i did wellingtons as individual fillets once, which was a great way to try it. they were a little wet on the bottom though.
  • Little Steven
    stike,

I want to try again but I'm wating for the foie gras sale at the supermarket.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• stike
    i haven't seen foie gras for sale around here. land of the PC.

nice pate' works around these parts. damn. i think i know what i want for father's day
  • Little Steven
    I need to drop 10 lbs before I do it again. When's Father's Day?

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• AzScott
    AzScott Posts: 309
    I did one for my grandpa's 90th birthday. It turned out great. I do not remember what the recipe was but try searching for one at Recipezaar and go for a high rated one.
  • AzScott
    AzScott Posts: 309
    I did one for my grandpa's 90th birthday. It turned out great. I do not remember what the recipe was but try searching for one at Recipezaar and go for a high rated one.