Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Whole chicken veggie plate ?

Options
Raxus
Raxus Posts: 21
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey folks, love this forum! Tried a whole chicken for the first time tonight. Used a maple rub with hickory and apple wood smoke. Turned out awesome..but..my veggie drip pan was mostly burnt. The flavor was great on the one that weren't but I am wondering wjhat I did wrong? I peeled and cubed the taters, put some onions in it and some sliced carrots. The carrots were all burnt and so were most of the taters. I am guessing the carrots were too thin but was the taters too thin also? Seems like in Grandpas Grub veggie plate the taters were quartered? Do I need to keep the skin on also? Also do I need to fell the drip pan with the veggies? I keep the pan in with the chicken the whole time..which was 90 mins at 400. Any advice would be greatly appreciated for my next try at this!

Chuck

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    I sliced the bakers and quartered the reds.

What temp. did you cook, how long and how was the egg set up, setter and stuff?

GG
  • Raxus
    Options
    Cooked at 400 for 90 mins. Had the placesetter, legs up, the veggie tray/drip pan on top of the placesetter..then had the grill on with the chicken on the v-rack breast down towards drip pan.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Went to look and see if I had a picture of the cooking set up. I didn't so here are a couple of solutions.

Egg dome 400° (preferred) but can go up to 500°.

I use the adjustable rig with the veggie tray on a lower level (2nd up from bottom or higher if I have room) and the chicken on the top level grid.

If useing a plate setter. Legs up, spacer of some type, 1/2" copper 90° or even some aluminum foil balls, rocks or what ever. I bought some kiln stilts. I have several different sizes but mostly use square by 10" long. I lay them down flat on the setter then the veggie tray. Then the Grid and chicken directly above the tray.

I put some EVOO on the bottom of the tray, put in the spuds, layer with some sliced onions, more potatoes, onions etc. I add whatever else I want. I would put carrots towards the top of the tray.

I also put a couple of pats of butter and some sausage (if I have any) in the tray. Butter & bacon for flavor.

Usually there is enough drippings from the chicken to keep things moist.

I have never had to stir or play with the veggie's

I have only once heavy toasted the upper potatoes, one could use some light foil if the tray was cooking too fast.

I have done this at 400°, 450° 500° - the 500° is where I toasted the upper potatoes.

Hope this is of some help.

GG
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Raxus,

I am thinking you cooked them too long.

I would be interested how your egg was set up and how much lump you had in the egg when you started.

I cook the chicken to 165° internal which for some reason is reached at about an hour. At 500° is where I toasted the upper potatoes.

500° the time was about 50 minutes at 400° & 450° the time is right at 1 hour.

GG
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Was it a fryer? I would suggest 350 degrees dome and cook for approx 1 hour 15 minutes til 165 degrees in the breast, (fryer weighing approx. 3 1/2 lbs).

Faith
    Tampa, FL
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Raxus
    Options
    Lump was filled to the fire ring. Had a somewhat hard time getting the egg to 400 at first. So I believe I averaged about 375 for the 90 mins. Hope this aswers your questions Grandpa.
  • Raxus
    Options
    Yes I believe it was a whole fryer. Does this make any difference?
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Did you use the plate setter and the grid on top?

Most often now I try to cook at raised grid level. More and more I have been trying to put lump lower in the egg for shorter cooks. I would suggest for this short of a cook you fill the lump in between the holes in the fire box and the top of the fire box (bottom of fire ring), 2/3 of that distance full.

I am thinking the cook time is the issue.

GG
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    FGG's temperature and time (above) sounds pretty darn close.

Chick is just so forgiving.

Just make sure you cook to food temperature.

Here are some different chicken cooks, some with veggies some direct. All cooked to 165° internal and all cooks took close to 1 hour +/- 15 minutes.

All had great, moist tasting meat. The difference is the color of the skin. To season I used olive oil on the skin and various DP rubs after the EVOO.

This is the chicken I cooked with the information I posted about this type of cook.
    chickspud2.jpg

chickspud3.jpg

400° spuds underneath
    chick400.jpg

500° - 1 hr, raised grid
    chick500.jpg

Oops, this is a turkey cooked to 165° breast about 4 hours - Mad Max method.
    turkey0812.jpg

GG
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Raxus, just keep cooking and you will soon get the hang of it. That was a very ambitious cook for your first one. As you get more comfortable with your egg temps and cooking the meat to perfection, the perfect sides will come with time.

GG, that chicken looks awesome. Great pics, and advice.

Faith
    Tampa, FL
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini