Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Indirect Options for SBGE?

Options
FearlessGrill
FearlessGrill Posts: 695
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi guys,

Per my previous post a few minutes ago, I recently picked up a used SBGE. I was wondering what peoples' favorite tool is to set up a small for indirect cooking. I have found 3 possible options - not sure if there are others...

1) Plate Setter. The BGE website says they now sell a plate setter for the Small: http://www.biggreenegg.com/setters.html. Not sure how much they are, but I'm guessing in the $30 - $40 range.

2) Small Woo2. The Ceramic Grill Store sells their Woo2 setup for the Small for $55.95. http://ceramicgrillstore.com/shop-script_premium/index.php?productID=169. This would require something as an indirect barrier, such as a small pizza stone or at least a drip pan.

3) Gratemates. For $78, the Gratemates Deluxe provides an indirect option for the small. Again, a pizza stone or drip pan needs to be added. http://www.nakedwhiz.com/productreviews/gratemates/gratemates.htm.

Anyone have any thoughts on any of these? I'm leaning toward the plate setter due to the lower cost, but the additional versatility of the others may make them worth it. Any advice appreciated.

-John

Comments

• vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    I have the small platesetter, small pizza stone and the small woo2. I use all of them at various times. I probably use the Woo2 and pizza stone a little more frequently but it really is about what is at my fingertips and what I am cooking. Sorry if that makes the issue no less clear... :S
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    have the Gratemates, pizza stone, and platesetter. this combo seems to work fine.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• ILL--EGGER
    ILL--EGGER Posts: 478
    Options
    I bought the GrateMates with raised legs and have had great success. The direct raised grilling that the GrateMates allows for is fantastic on the small egg.
    DSCN2499.jpg
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    You can see a couple of different indirect setups for the small in the "tips" section of my website...they were taken a while back, and at this time I do have the gratemates and also the small platesetter...but it may give ya some ideas just the same...
  • johann
    johann Posts: 111
    Options
    Oh man, I was going to ask for a platesetter for the sbge for my birthday(june) and now I'm baffled at the options!

Thanks for this thread
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Are your GrateMates on up side down?
    I guess they will work both ways.
    darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • ILL--EGGER
    ILL--EGGER Posts: 478
    Options
    Lol. I was wondering if someone would notice. That was the first use and I didn't have a clue at the time but your right they will work either way :laugh: .
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    Good catch, Darian. They may work this way, but, the grid may end up on the deck! :(
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    That ceramic dish pictured in one of my set-ups is no longer available, BGE used to make it and called it a baking dish....so that knocks a little confusion out of the way
  • johann
    johann Posts: 111
    Options
    If you mail ordered the platesetter and pizza stone for the sbge do you have links? My google skills are weak today.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    That is a great photo of ABT's.
    I was sure scrolling down to see the finished product.
    darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • ibanda
    ibanda Posts: 553
    Options
    The platesetter is an easy option for $30 or so, it works well, and it covers a lot of options. I bought the deluxe gratemates also which gives me even more options. It is also possible to use both setups at the sametime, raised grid with gratemates over platesetter.
    "Bacon tastes gooood, pork chops taste gooood." - Vincent Vega, Pulp Fiction
    Small and Large BGE in Oklahoma City.
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    Do you have a pizza stone for your small?
    If so, you remember where you got it?

Thanks
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Jersey Doug
    Jersey Doug Posts: 460
    Options
    loco_engr wrote:
    Do you have a pizza stone for your small? If so, you remember where you got it?

I bought the 12" BGE pizza stone I use in my Small at the Waldorf EggFest. I bought the 14" pizza stone I use in my Large at Fred's Music and BBQ Supply in Shillington PA. BGE says the 12" pizza stone is for the Medium but it works fine in the Small.
  • ibanda
    ibanda Posts: 553
    Options
    loco_engr wrote:
    Do you have a pizza stone for your small?
    If so, you remember where you got it?

Thanks

I bought the 12" pizza stone from the OKC dealer. BGE calls it the medium but it fits the small pretty well.
    "Bacon tastes gooood, pork chops taste gooood." - Vincent Vega, Pulp Fiction
    Small and Large BGE in Oklahoma City.
  • WingRider
    WingRider Posts: 326
    Options
    I agree I started out with the gratemates, as BGE did not have the small platesetter at the time, the only problem was BGE was phasing out the baking dish. I wound up buying a pair of small pizza stones from amazon ( 8" I think) and it works good. I like the platesetter as it give me room to place the egg feet under my CIDO. I also like the versatility of the gratemates for elevated cooking, they both have their advantages. The longer set of gratemates, in the delux set, work well in my medium, sets the grate at gasket hight. I would not want to be without either gratemates or platesetter. This probably doesn't help you decide, :( but hopefully give you some food for thought. :whistle:
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    Thank You for the info, good to know!
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap