Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brining Pork Butts and Brisket

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My mom ask me to cook for our family reunion coming up memorial day weekend for about 50 people. I'm looking at cooking a couple of pork butts and a brisket with some chicken thrown in. I have heard of brining the brisket and pork butts for three days keeping them refrigerated of course. Has anyone done this or can anyone shed some light on this. Thanks Rick

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    is this your first porkbutt cook on the egg, if it is read all 4 parts of elder wards pulled pork in the recipe section. no, dont brine. i would probably stick with all butts and have some chicken as its a much easier cook than the brisket
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Butts and brisket are not typically brined. -RP
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I used to try brining everything. The only things that seemed to really benefit from it were turkey and chicken.

Most BBQ meats (butts, brisket, ribs) have lots of fat that, as far as I can tell, keeps the meat's water from evaporating while the fat renders out. And, more importantly, the copious collagen in the tissue turns into gelatin. Add that to the Egg's superior moisture retention, and there's not much need to infuse the meat with more water via brining.
  • First off I have cooked a lot of each on my egg, but the egg will not be going with me. I will be cooking these in a huge pipe smoker my late uncle made for me. I had heard that brining for a long time works great, but had never tried it. Thanks for the relpy's Rick
  • chefreyguy12
    Options
    here's my 2 cents: You brine lean meat such as turkey, chicken, pork tenderloin, and loin, these all benefit from brining as brining is the exchange of liquids you remove liquid an resupply the lean tissue with flavor and moister. I have brined butts for pulled pork just to see. Its good for flavor but the moister is already there. And the flavor is much easier to impart by a mustard rub then spices or oil the spices , this will save you 3 days. I would consider pulled pork, chicken and ribs, or if you must have beef marinate and cook some london broils. This way its not all long cooks , nice med rare beef.