Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

temp gauge

mdevers
mdevers Posts: 20
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have heard of a temp guage that will beep u (or something) when thenmeat temp is right. That's good if only not to have to open egg to read temp of meat. what would be really nice would be a combo temp gauge to notify u of the meat temp and the dome temp. I haven't learned to control it too well and practically stand next to it for 30 min or more verifying temp it working right. any inventers out there?

Comments

• NooBBQ
    NooBBQ Posts: 134
    Maverick ET-73 available just about everywhere
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    First of all - calibrate your egg thermometer.

The Maverick ET-73 is a great dual read/alarm thermometer. It is also called the Redi-Check and costs about $40 on line.

You can't get the probes much over 450° without damaging them.

Use your lower vent to control the course temperature and the top vent (DFMT) to fine tune the desired egg temperature.

You will get the hang of temperature regulation pretty quickly.

On my large, from 220° to about 270° I open the lower vent 1/16" to 1/8" (screen closed), top vent slider closed petals open about 1/3.

275° - 350° bottom vent open 1/8" to 3/8" open, top vent slider mostly closed and petals up to full open.

450° bottom vent about 1/2" open, top slider 1/4 open petals mostly open.

At some point in time we all seem to make managing the temperature a lot harder than it really is.

One tip... Always begin to close the vents down BEFORE you reach your stable cook temperature. If you don't you will chase the temperature and vent settings all the way through the entire cook.

Now when you end up chasing the temperatures throughout your cook remember the advice.

GG