Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

For those who held....

Options
DryFly
DryFly Posts: 351
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
....on to their gassers. Check out the VillaWare Pizza Grill - BBQ Pizza Maker on Amazon. It is 12 x 15 x 5 inches and sits on your gasser. Cost about $77, and I think it carries free shipping. I refuse to cook pizza on my Eggs because of the inevitable gasket problems that occur. I kept my Weber gasser and use it for extremely short cooks (hotdogs, burgers, sausage and some shrimp dishes). It has been good to me for the last 20 years while being stored with a cover in the outdoors. It has never been under a roof of any sort. Always starts on first pop. That kind of service deserves a little loyalty from me. All the rest goes on the Eggs.

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    gasket problems are not restricted to or definitively caused by pizza making.

You are missing great pizzas if you don't give them a try on the egg in my opinion. Even if the worst was to occur, you could replace your gasket with nomex or another alternative for far less than $77.
  • DryFly
    DryFly Posts: 351
    Options
    Not every time, but most times though, I think you'd agree, Rod. I just don't want to go through the aggravation of having to do that, in some cases multiple times. I drape aluminum foil over both gaskets when sear a steak or a roast in an attempt to protect them. So far so good.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    I honestly would not agree that most times someone does a pizza their gasket fails. I think that this forum bears the brunt of bad experiences - ask yourself for every post of "my gasket failed" how many hundreds of successful and trouble free cooks are not posted. Many people don't even seek out this forum until they experience a problem, and once they get their gasket issue posted here, a large percentage never return here. Just a fact.

I don't at all blame you for being protective of your equipment, I admire it. But pizza on the egg is one of my favorite things to do, and it never cause me to have gasket issues before or after I switched to an aftermarket solution.
  • Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    Options
    I have done probably 25 pizzas in the 500-700 degree range and have not burned a gasket yet. I am using one of those cheep pizza stones and that hasn't broken yet.
    pie.jpg
  • Semolina Pilchard
    Options
    I would think that the majority of gaskets that get fried during a pizza cook are when the plate setter is put in legs down. With that setup the fire gets pushed directly at the gaskets. If the plate setter is put in legs up, then the food grid on top the plate setter, then the pizza stone on the food grid you take most of the stress off of the gasket. To each his own, but having an egg that can turn out fantastic pizzas and not doing so is like owning a Lamborghini and only driving it once a month.
  • Panhandle Smoker
    Options
    There are more options to you for cooking Pizza on the Egg. Pizzas on the Egg are out of this world. I use the plate setter legs up for pizzas so I dont fry the gaskets. It keeps the direct heat away from the gaskets, Works great for me.