Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fidel's fajitas/shrimp sugestions?

Options
Susan Egglaine
Susan Egglaine Posts: 2,437
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Tomorrow I will be cooking for 8. Wanted to try Fidel's fajita recipe from Ocala. I would like to do some shrimp also, any suggestions. I can not mix the two & will be cooking on the small. Where to you find ancho chili powder?

Comments

• reelgem
    reelgem Posts: 4,256
    Options
    Paul Prudhomme make a ancho chile powder. They don't carry it everywhere. Wish you lived closer Susan I'd let you borrow some. :)
    BTW- If you google "ancho chili powder substitute they recommend new mexico chili powder. So I would use any chili powder. I'm sure you'll be fine.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Susan,

Omit the ancho powder if you don't have any and increase the cumin just a bit.

Ancho is very mild - if you use a traditional chili powder the flavors will be overpowered by the heat.

What you could do is server two types of fajitas - one beef and one shrimp. Do the beef first then do a second batch using shrimp instead of the beef and basically the same method - just cook the shrimp until done and add to the veggies when they are done.
  • Sweathog
    Sweathog Posts: 75
    Options
    If you have a Mexican or Spanish market nearby, they'll have loads of it. I Tried 4 grocery stores in Nashville, and nobody had it. I went to the nearest Mexican market and they had tons. Good Luck!

Sweathog