Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

KCBS

Options
Rolling Egg
Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Are there any members of the Kansas City Barbecue Society here in Eggland? Whats the benefits to being a member? I was just reading there website and feel like as much barbecue as I do, and as big of a part as barbecue plays in my life, I should be a member. Im thinking about entering my first comp this year as well. Also has anyone here got anything to say about the new barbecue magazine thats out? Any issues out yet? Thanks!

Comments

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    I been reading a lot about it.Seems like a good organization.Think I may join. ;) I would really like to compete in a few KCBS sanctioned contests.Seems like the fairest way.I don't agree with MMM rules.No way to compete with the MONEY people with the big sponsors. :( :angry: KCBS is all about the food.Blind box judging,everyone cooks the same thing and they don't give points for your rig or cooking area decorations.Anyone can win!!! :woohoo: :whistle:
  • SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,504
    Options
    Morning Rolling Egg:

I'm a member of KCBS, but not a competitor. I've been a certified judge for 3 years now and have really enjoyed the events I had been a judge for. I did get a copy of the initial edition of the magazine I think you are talking about and it was very well done. I haven't seen one since then (I got my copy at the Lakeland PigFest in a couple of months ago as part of the judge's bag).

If you are considering competing I recommend joining KCBS. There are quite a few Eggors (Chris with Dizzy Pig for just one) who are members.

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• Buster Dog BBQ
    Buster Dog BBQ Posts: 1,366
    Options
    Outside of Memphis in May I think that organization is getting phased out if not already.
  • Buster Dog BBQ
    Buster Dog BBQ Posts: 1,366
    Options
    For the $40 or so bucks it cost to join, you might as well do it. You can get to the recipe section of the site and receive a monthly newspaper that has some decent articles.

Additionally, some contest charge more for non KCBS members then then do members.
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    Member and judge
  • MilitantSquatter
    Options
    If you plan to compete or want to become a judge then there is value and you have a say in the direction of the organization through voting for elected members.

If not, save the $35 on a new BBQ toy.

Their mission is to promote BBQ.. but the direction is heavily focused toward the sanctioning body/competition aspect and gaining exposure though that channel. Great if your a competitor or maybe a judge, but little benefit (as of today) if your a BBQ hobbyist at home.

I was a member for several yrs up until last Oct. when I let my membership expire. I've backed off on comps on my own and now just help out friends who have teams when needed.

Looking at it from the other side there is little no value as a backyard cook. The KCBS Bullsheet (monthly newspaper) is basically a lot of the same advertisements each month and contest recaps and the Board of Directors are focused on the comp aspect.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    I hope so ,the deck is way stacked in that carnival.Too much politics,etc.IMHO :angry: :ohmy: :woohoo: ;)
  • Rolling Egg
    Options
  • Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    Options
    The mag is BBQ World. I have one of the Premier Issues and bought a subscription. The inside cover full page ad is BGE ! :woohoo:

Terry Welch is publisher and does a great job.

www.bbqworldmag.com
  • Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Options
    MBN is the current version of the former MIM organization. It is alive and well and not really going anywhere. I think the only true MIM contests left are Memphis in May and the DC battle.
  • Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Options
    KCBS is a great organization. For your membership fee you get a monthly magazine, access to the members only section of the web site, and starting this year all teams that compete will be tracked via the chief cook's membership number.

As far as the contests go it is the fairest out there in my opinion.

Bobby-Q
    KCBS # 13239
  • Rolling Egg
    Options
  • sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    The monthly publication of KCBS, The Bullsheet, is worth the price of membership IMHO. I've been a member for about 10 years, a CBJ for 7, a contest cook for 6, and have organized the Mt. Vernon, IL KCBS sanctioned cook for 6 years.

As someone earlier wrote, the publication is geared mainly around competitions, previews, results, KCBS board actions etc. but there is some good information in there on recipes and things that may be of interest to the backyard cooker. If you are looking to get into competition BBQ each issue has a complete listing of contests, contact information etc. Most of the advertising in the publication is geared around upcoming contests and cookers that are geared towards competition cooking or catering or restaurants. But, many of these companies also have cookers that are geared towards the backyard cook as well. Its pretty eye-opening to take a look at whats out there.

Hope this helps.

Troy
  • Squeeze
    Squeeze Posts: 717
    Options
    Great organization, and I think you will find being in North Alabama, we have a ton of contests within a short drive from where you are. Come out to the Athens, AL contest in a few weekends at the Sheriff's Arena and check it out. KCBS Sanctioned and a lot of great teams will be there.

-Kevin
    Kevin Jacques
    The University of Que L.L.C. ®
    Killen, AL
    www.uofque.com

Take Your Taste Buds to School!
  • Squeeze
    Squeeze Posts: 717
    Options
    Hey Troy...

Can you send me an email? I have a few questions for you.

kevin.jacques (at) gmail.com
    Kevin Jacques
    The University of Que L.L.C. ®
    Killen, AL
    www.uofque.com

Take Your Taste Buds to School!