Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BBQ for the Troops-3rd Stop (pic heavy)

Options
Charleston Dave
Charleston Dave Posts: 571
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Celtic Wolf's BBQ for the Troops campaign made its third stop Friday, April 3 at Ft Bragg for the 82nd Airborne 122 ASB Alpha Company. This group provides logistics support including helicopter fuel and water. They are scheduled to deploy soon. As always, thanks to those Eggers supportive with funds, time, equipment and good wishes.

Sgt Wolf was delayed for the Thursday night planned start due to a blown tire and damaged rim:

IMG_7081.jpg

We managed to get set up with the help of a few soldiers just outside Frederick Physical Fitness Center. Naturally, being an Egged BBQ event, the cooking weather was rainy:

IMG_7078.jpg

Nevertheless, we managed to get seven large Eggs and one XL set up. Lockout from the gym was at 9 PM. We rubbed 38 butts and put them onto the Eggs beginning around 11:30 PM.

IMG_7086.jpg

CW spent the night onsite while I headed into town around 2 AM with a lengthy shopping list and a bad craving for a warm, dry hotel room.

Come Friday morning, the wind and rain abated and we had ourselves a nice day. So nice, in fact, that even a Wolf and a Rabbit could grow friendly:

IMG_7095.jpg

Service was at 1700, so we had ample time to begin pulling butts early and see the gym set up for a party, with Easter Bunny, a puppet show, temporary tattoos, Guitar Hero, and a DJ:
IMG_7096.jpg
IMG_7097.jpg

Our first sixty quarts of goodness await service:
IMG_7099.jpg

CW took advantage of the late service to whip up a batch of the famous Wolfie Sauce. I was dispatched to clean cutting boards about the time the secret ingredients went in (mysterious timing, that), so I can only report rumors that it includes wolf blood and helicopter grease:
IMG_7137.jpg

Service was provided by soldier wives and family; I was free to wander about taking pics during the event. Our sandwich bun girls were especially hard-working:
IMG_7192.jpg

There were over 100 pics, and the commander's wife is interested in featuring some on the morale website:

IMG_7106.jpg
IMG_7140.jpg
IMG_7122.jpg
IMG_7165.jpg
IMG_7167.jpg
IMG_7169.jpg
IMG_7194.jpg

If any of you wish to support CW's future efforts in this noble cause, please email him directly. I understand there will be a break of several weeks before the next event.

Comments

• Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244
    Options
    Congratulations to Celtic Wolf and crew for another great cook for the troops. You folks can take great pride in knowing that your actions speak louder then any words.

Great photo coverage Dave, it's always wonderful to see all the smiles generated by your efforts. Thanks for posting.

How many people were served?

Gator
  • bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    Options
    Dave, Nice posting and thanks for the pics. Looks like everyone had a great time. Did you ever find that dry motel room?
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Options
    Hey Dave,it looks like ya'll made alot of people very happy,nice work ;) I wish I could have been there :pinch: :)
  • Charleston Dave
    Options
    Tnx, Gator. The two of us managed 38 butts on eight Eggs, plus Wolfie Sauce, with prepared beans and potato salad also served.

As to how many were served, this was limited to a single company so it was the smallest of the three events to date. I don't have an accurate head count but CW tells me they asked him to prepare for 450.
  • Charleston Dave
    Options
    That's a separate saga! The Holiday Inn Express had me in three separate rooms in the course of a few hours stay; they ended up refunding half my room charges. Not a good experience at all. I think I would have gotten more sleep sleeping in the car in the woods like I did at MCAS!
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    thanks for sharing Dave! and thanks for cooking too. it is a great thing you guys are doing :) Julie
  • Charleston Dave
    Options
    With us in spirit, Doug!
  • Charleston Dave
    Options
    Thanks for the kind words, Julie. :)
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    Once again...Way to go guys! ;)
    Your giving Eggheads a great name, one butt at a time.
  • Gunnar
    Gunnar Posts: 2,307
    Options
    What a rewarding experience. The men are hearing about a BBQ cookout and then (second pic) what are these green things. Is there a secret mission to create some future eggers?
    LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX
  • Charleston Dave
    Options
    You should have seen the Wackenhut private security guard assigned to inspect my vehicle and its contents at the gated entrance to Ft Bragg. They require you to open hood, trunk, all passenger doors, glove box and armrest so they can poke around. My Egg was lashed in the front seat:

IMG_0180.jpg

He peered at it, then down the top, then pried open the lid.

I'm sure somewhere in the Wackenhut Security Guard Training Manual there was a drawing of a Dangerous Car-Borne Device that looked kinda round and hard...
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Was it seriously Wackenhut/private security, or was it a uniformed D0D Police Officer?

If Bragg has gone to private security then things sure have changed since I've been gone.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Yep Wackenhut!!

MPs on Bragg are furious. They can do the job better at a 1/3 of the cost, but the army says they may get deployed.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    That's insane! Even if the MPs are deployed (as they should be, even the garrison units) the DoD Police usually does a good job as a supplemental force.

My how times change. I am now a sad MP, sad for what has become of my proud brothers in arms. To be replaced my rent-a-cops.

I wonder who is commanding the 16th MP Bn or the 16th MP Brigade these days. There is an outside chance I may have served with some of the senior NCOs in that Brigade. I'd love to bust their cojones a little over this.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Internal post security still falls under the MPs, but gate duty is all Wackenhut.

I don't have a clue who is commanding them. I just had to deal with them
  • Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    Options
    Dave,

How do you get the Large up and into the front seat?

With all the ceramics out, is it manageable for one person? Haven't tried to move mine yet.
  • Revolution
    Revolution Posts: 130
    Options
    CW, what a wonderful thing you are doing. Loved seeing that Florida Eggfest T shirt.

-Charlie
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    Great job guys! The smiles say it all!
  • Charleston Dave
    Options
    It's doable by one person although it's not a great solution for Egg transport. I got my Egg at Eggtoberfest (the picture's actually an old one from then) and one BGE worker loaded it that way with the ceramics still in place. It's the only option I have for transporting the Egg in my small Euro-sedan, as my Egg won't fit in the trunk or back seat.

I've loaded the Egg alone on round trips to the three BBQ for the Troops events plus the round trip to Ocala plus a New Year's Day cook on Wadmalaw Island, so that's ten trips plus the trip home from Atlanta makes eleven.

It's easier if you take the ceramics out first as you suggest. I position the nest next to my car and open the Egg's lower vent all the way. The car seat is positioned all the way back with protective towels over the seat. I lift with my left hand in the top and the right hand in the lower vent and swing the Egg into place. I usually put the green cap back on once the Egg is seated, to minimize smoke smell in the car. I then put the nest in the back seat and the ceramics on the floor of the front passenger seat, fire ring on bottom so they stack shorter than they do inside the Egg.

I don't plan to make a further habit of this, as it does risk tearing up the car or dropping the Egg. I wouldn't recommend this technique to anyone with back issues. Your hands will also be filthy from lifting through the top vent and the bottom vent, so you'll need a way to clean your hands before driving. The handle and rear hinge have to be aligned just so to prevent hitting window glass or tearing the seat. I would definitely not do it if I couldn't fasten the seat belt to keep the Egg in place during travel. So, YMMV...caveat Egger!
  • Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    Options
    I've just wondered how people move their eggs (other than smalls and minis) to different cooks. Looks like a lot of trouble and risk to me.

I have occasionally given thought toward beginning to compete, but one would have to build an egg-friendly trailer - good bit of expense there, plus having a place to keep the trailer when not cooking.

Thanks for the work with the Troops. I will send some more contribution toward future cooks. Unfortunately I can't get off work on weekdays to help - would love to, though!
  • Panhandle Smoker
    Options
    Wolf, Thank you guys for what you are doing up there. I have been active duty for 22+ years now and it is always nice to see the appreciation from people like yourselves. Ft Bragg has it going on for the troops. I was there a few years ago for an Anti Terrorism school and they had a burger and dog cook out going on in the parking lot. They were still using the MP's then. It seems as if everything is going civilian.