Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

cooking too fast

Options
glousteau
glousteau Posts: 124
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I put my first bone-in butt on around 5 today, 8.5 pounds (was looking to have it for lunch). It's now 8ish and its already at 110* so ~3 hr into the cook its already this high. Is this expected?

thanks

Comments

• glousteau
    glousteau Posts: 124
    Options
    sorry, my dome temp has held between 240 and 260 since I put it on.
  • Mike in Abita
    Mike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    Options
    Keep on cooking. It's done when it's done. It will slow down when it reaches 160 or so. Gotta creep through that plateau. Good eats are in your future.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Yep it is expected..

Like mike said it will hit 165 and you post asking us if it normal to stay at 165 for hours.

So I'll save you the typing. That is normal too. Might even drop a degree or too.
  • Semolina Pilchard
    Options
    I assume you are planning to pull it off at about 200 degrees internal. The meat started off just below 40 degrees and now it is at 110, which is more than halfway to 200. But there are two reasons why you are not more than halfway there time wise. When you put the cold butt in the egg there is a vast difference between the two temp wise, so the temp of the butt rises quicky. But the closer the butt temp gets to the temp of the egg the rate of increase will slow. Another reason is you will hit the "plateau" phase. This is where the tough connective tissue breaks down. The temp will stop climbing for quite a while, and the temp often even goes retro.