Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pan of water or not?

Options
jphgator
jphgator Posts: 19
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've done alot of pulled pork on my now-lonely kettle grill. Now that my Lg BGE is up and running, it's time to smoke a pork butt. I used to dump beer or apple juice into my drip pans with the kettle (for moisture), but is that actually necessary with the Egg?

Comments

• Broc
    Broc Posts: 1,398
    Options
    Maybe not necessary -- but I do it anyway -- cider. Keeps the pan from drying out and making "drippy-stinkies."

~ B
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    Not necessary.I do it any way to protect the heat barrier.Platesetter or pizza stone.You can wrap them in foil or use a drip pan.I like to use a little liquid in te DP just to make sure nothing gets dried out, burnt and funky!!! :whistle: Just my opinion ;)
  • ChefRD
    ChefRD Posts: 438
    Options
    I've had my Eggs for years and have never added any water pans or such in the egg.
    I used to in the ECB but have not anymore. The meat is fine, with lots of moisture, and I've never regretted not using the water pan.
    I have injected some hams and birds and then smoked/cooked them and they were also absolutely delicious. So overall, I would no, you do not need a water pan, but I will say also, that it 'can't' hurt, so if you feel it helps then do it. But, I for one don't need it for my tastes. :)
    HTH
    Ron.
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    I use liquid, if I use a drip pan, but I don’t think it is necessary for keeping the meat moist…Just aids in the clean up.
    OTOH, I just used Apple Jack in a drip pan when double smoking a ham. It may have added an additional layer of flavor…Not to mention it was fun sippin’ the Jack during the smoke ;) !
  • bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    Options
    If you want steamed pork, go for it. The whole idea with this type of system is, the ceramic retains heat and mosture. Meats don't shrink or dry out. Go to my site and look under the cook tab. Scroll down and look at the difference of foil vs non-foil. You will see first hand meat that shrinks when braised/steamed. If you add any type of liquid, you won't be adding any flavor. If you want to impart flavor, Brine it, Marinated it, or Smoke it. :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    Options
    Did 2 butts last week - cooked for 15 hours with no water in the drip pan. Since I was using a low temp (225*) the drippings in the pan did not burn or stink.

I have read elsewhere that the liquid in the pan uses a great deal of your lump energy to get the water up to the egg temp. Also water is good on metal smokers because it not only adds moisture, but the heat sink from the energy in the water helps stabilize the heat in the smoke. Neither is necessary with a ceramic smoker.
    ( I think I read that in the BBQ Guru literature or when studying about the Guru - d#%^ memory) :(

Now I can't argue with the fact that you might feel better if you add water and your smoker will SMELL better while cooking, but I don't think it will affect the moisture or taste of your food. Just my opinion.
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    Options
    I put apple juice and apple cider vinegar. Mainly because it adds a nice flavor not to add moisture.
  • Firetruck
    Firetruck Posts: 2,679
    Options
    I've tried it both ways. I usually don't use any liquid. When I did, it was to keep from burning the rendered fat when it hits the hot surface under the meat, and that was only at first when I was learning to control the heat. Sometimes it got out of control. :silly:
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    I didn't use any liquid even back in the days when I cooked on a WSM or drum smoker. Commercial bbq pits don't use liquid and the Egg definitely doesn't need it. Space your drip pan up off the platesetter with some balls of foil and the drippings wont burn. -RP
  • jphgator
    jphgator Posts: 19
    Options
    Thanks for all the good feedback; I'm leaning towards no liquid, maybe propping up the drip pan a bit.
  • Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    Options
    I think you will be pleased. I have used the little balls of foil before and you can use the 3 BGE feet that can with the grill, if you're not using them under the egg.
  • Ed on Cape Cod
    Options
    Or just put in a thin layer of salt. It absorbs the drippings so there's no burning or smoking from the fat.