Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

need recipes for cast iron casserole pot

Options
Aron
Aron Posts: 170
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just got a 3 qt. cast iron casserole pot that is currently seasoning in the oven. For anyone who's interested, Macy's is having a $6.99 sale on cast iron cookware--the casserole pot, fajita pans w/ wood trivet, a 3 small pan set, or a large griddle pan.
So now I have the 3 qt. pot and would like to possibly use it on the egg tonight. Looking for recipes for things like chili or soup for this slightly rainy, gloomy day in New England.
Also--when cooking in the pot on the egg, do you leave the lid off to allow smoke in easier, or does the smoke penetrate even with the lid on?
Thanks,
--Aron

Comments

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Aron,
    way to go!!!. . .i love pot cooking in the egg. . .first, if you did it in a pot in the oven, use the same recipe and try it on the egg, same temps, same time, it can only be better. . .[p]with the things i've cooked, i've left the top off so they aborb the smoke (the moistness in the egg and liquid in the pot prevent stuff from drying out on you). . [p]here's a couple simple ones for you. .. [p]1. baked beans a couple of cans of your favorite baked beans (we like bush's original), one onion chopped up, about 1/2 cup brown sugar, 3 -4 tablespoons of your favorite bbq sauce. ..stir it all up, lay 4 slices of thick cut bacon on top. . .stick in the egg for 2 - 3 hours at 300 - 325 degrees. ..if you want them smokier, add a chunk of hickory or other wood to your fire. . .these will be better than anything you do in the oven. .[p]2. chili - first, i take some tenderloin tips, coat in chili powder and dizzy pig cow lick, grill direct in the egg till medium well along with a halved jalopeno, and red peppers and onion halves. . .while this is going on i mix in the pot, 1 large can chopped tomatoes, 1 large can crushed tomatoes, 1 med can tomatoe paste, 1 large can red kidney beans, a whole lot of chili powder. ..when the steak and vegies are done, cut them all up small and throw them in the pot. . .stick on the egg at 300 for 300 hours. . . i added a couple of chunks of hickory last time and it made for a real nice smokey chili. .. again though, do whatever fits your taste buds. ...[p]have fun, i think you are going to like the results. . .[p]max

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    whoops, i said 300 hours for the chili. ..meant 3 hours. . and also, when i do things in the pot, i set it direct on the grill. . i find that at around 300 - 350 dome temps, i have no problem with burning inthe bottom of my pot. . .you could do it over the plate setter, but i don't think it is anymore necessary than if you set that pot on a burner on your stove. . .