Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Paprike Free Rub Recipe

Chris in Gwinnett
Chris in Gwinnett Posts: 144
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Good Morning All-

My name is Chris and I don't like paprika. Seriously, I am not a huge fan and just about every rub recipe contains a huge amount of the stuff. I searced the archives with no luck. I have been using one recipe that calls for salt and sugar which is okay, but I do not love it.

Does anyone have a rub recipe that doesn't contain paprika? Am I the only person here that doesn't like the stuff?

I am almost to the point of not using a rub at all and flavoring with sauce or vinegar at the serving stage. As always, any thoughts, ideas or feedback welcomed and wanted.

Comments

• Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Try using any of the recipes you found & just not adding the Paprika, don't worry that it is one of the primary ingredients, if you don't like it, you won't miss it :)
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • citychicken
    citychicken Posts: 484
    you don't specify whether you are looking for a commercial blend or for recipes to concoct your own and for what purpose (fish, chicken, pork...)

commercially prepared: i have tried and like the dizzy pig brand http://www.dizzypigbbq.com/index.html. "raising the steaks" and "shakin' the tree" are two of my favorites and i believe contain no paprika.

John Henry's rubs http://www.barbecue-store.com/johnhenrysrubs-texasbrisketseasoning.htm.

if you are looking to make your own... there are many to choose from. if a particular recipe calls for paprika, simply consider omitting it. usually if a rub recipe does call for paprika, it's a small component of the entire recipe.
  • Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Substitute Ancho chili powder and you will be in for a treat.
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Great suggestion Bill, I have used Ancho in a lot of my rubs, great flavor
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244
    Hi Chris,

Your question is a good one and you got me looking at my rub recipe:

1/2 C paprika
    1/4 C fine Sea salt
    2 C Drk. Brown Sugar
    2 T Dry Mustard
    1/4 C Chilli powder
    1/4 C Cumin
    2 T Blk. Pepper
    2 T Garlic powder
    1 T Onion powder
    1 T Cayenne pepper
    1 T Nutmeg
    1 T Cinnamon

I don't know how you feel about Chilli Powder as it is made of mild peppers also. I was wondering if you could omit the Paprika and Chilli Powder:

1/4 C fine Sea salt
    2 C Drk. Brown Sugar
    2 T Dry Mustard
    1/4 C Cumin
    2 T Blk. Pepper
    2 T Garlic powder
    1 T Onion powder
    1 T Cayenne pepper
    1 T Nutmeg
    1 T Cinnamon

Now you probably need to adjust the salt and sugar:

1 or 2 T fine Sea salt
    1/2 or 1 C Drk. Brown Sugar
    2 T Dry Mustard
    1/4 C Cumin
    2 T Blk. Pepper
    2 T Garlic powder
    1 T Onion powder
    1 T Cayenne pepper
    1 T Nutmeg
    1 T Cinnamon

You might try adding a T(ablespoon) or two of ground Sage or Thyme.

I would also adjust the Cayenne pepper as we have now decreased the size of the recipe, you could start with a 1 teaspoon and add more till you get what ever heat level you like or omit it all together if that is what you like.

Hope this helps, my original recipe has a rather long ingredient list that gives it a lot of room to play with. :)

Keep us posted, I would like to hear what you find and like.

Gator
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    this one doesnt need sauce at the end, you would have to source some spices online but its worth it.

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_recipes&Itemid=71&func=detail&id=118
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fishlessman
    and yes, your the only one that doesnt like paprika. :laugh: i think im the only one that gets sick after eating lettuce, i feel like i got food poisoned.
    fukahwee maine

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    What is the quality that you don't like? What I have noticed is that a lot of the paprika on the store shelves is of such poor quality that it only adds color and bulk to the rub.

Is the "out of the box" quality of your paprika good? I have some hot Hungarian paprika, and some sweet Spanish. Both are quite good. The Hungarian is not quite as hot as Cayenne, but has a lot of heat. The Spanish is quite savory.

However, if it is just the base capsicum flavor, many of the other peppers are most likely not going to be much of an improvement. There are some light New Mexico chili powder available (look at Pendery's for supplies) that might appeal to you.

If just omitting paprika, you might want to up the quantity of other spices a bit. I've used a bit of garam masala as an addition to the salt, sugar, black and red pepper etc base rub. Or bulk up on cumin. Or go in a different direction, and add ginger and lemon grass powder.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Green bell peppers are my bane. :( To a lesser extent, any not fully ripe pepper ties me in knots. Can't say how many good dishes I have to pass on because there is so much green bell in it.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Friend of mine uses this in his restaurants. Great on all poulty and beef, pork.

Rub, Jimmy Joe

10 Ozs Red Pepper Flakes, Fine Ground
    3 Ozs. Salt, Fine
    3 Ozs. Black Pepper, Fine

Mix all together

Recipe Type
    Rub/Seasoning/Spice

Recipe Source
    Source: Jimmy Joe's BBQ, Jimmy Brooks, 2007/02/02
  • fishlessman
    a couple leafs of lettuce will put me on the hopper for hours holding a bucket. now i can eat all the cabbage in the world without a problem so i dont know what it is. big bowls of peppers, cucumbers, tomatoes, onions, covered in bluecheese is what i eat for salads.
    fukahwee maine

• Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    I haven't read all of the responses, but why not make your own rub. Use a recipe that seems good, and just omit the paprika. The rub is always fresher that way and tastes great!
  • Thanks All, lots of good suggestions and ideas. Ancho powder sounds like a must try. I have been tinkering, just not hitting home runs, not even ground rule doubles. More like legged out infield singles. So, as per usual, I turn to the forum and get great support and ideas. Gator, good looking rub recipe. I think I will try, sans paprika, and up some of the other spices for volume. Once again, thanks to all for the insight.
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244
    Hi Chris,

I would be interested in hearing how it works out. You got me looking at my recipe from a different perspective and I might have to give that a try myself.

Gator