Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wild Hog

Options
Okeejohn
Okeejohn Posts: 297
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I had a conversation with a friend who swears that a wild hog for pulled pork is much better then any pulled pork from a store. Is this true? Is there a taste difference??

Okeejohn

Comments

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Depends on what he means by Pull Pork from a store.

Any pulled pork made at home on a smoker will be better then store bought. While you can make good pork with a gas smoker it really requires a gasser like the Southern Prides to produce a product as good as a wood or charcoal cooker.

Store bought pulled pork just isn't the same.

Wild Hog does have a different flavor profile only because it is leaner.
  • EGC
    EGC Posts: 448
    Options
    Wild hog is delicious! Since they are free range animals and don't eat processed feed, they are much healthier as well.

I'm a huge fan.
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    We used to get wild hogs out of green swamp in Florida. Not too many wild onions in there, so they were good. Always hosted a 4th july party, using the hogs. They were always good, but I wish I'd known about the egg then.