Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Nomex gasket woes

Options
OzarkQ
OzarkQ Posts: 150
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey all-
I was sent one of the nomex gasket replacements, but didn't have any luck installing it. I scraped and wirebrushed the surface with acetone and it was still black. I don't know if that was a good surface or not, or if it has to be all clean white ceramic? I might not have sprayed enough 3m77 on it either, I was trying to avoid gunking it up too much. Temperatures were around 50'f and I let it sit for about 3 days to set. When I did a cook on the weekend at 400' - the gasket just fell off the top half.

What did I do wrong?

Comments

• Salguod
    Salguod Posts: 130
    Options
    Well, without pictures and other info, we can only guess. Look at where the gasket came loose. Do you have big chunks of black gunk stuck to the gasket in every place that it came loose? If so, it might be that the egg was not clean enough.

But my guess is that the egg was clean enough and that your problem was with the adhesive. It works like contact cement, so you really need to have a significant amount sprayed on for it to work. It should stick even better if you spray the adhesive on the egg AND on the gasket. Let both surfaces dry for a few minutes until they are tacky before putting on the gasket. Get someone to help you hold the sticky gasket when you apply it. If I were you, I would start over with a new nomex gasket, but you might be ok reusing the old one with additional Super 77.
  • OzarkQ
    Options
    Still clean and white, so I'll try respraying heavier and both sides this time, thanks! I didn't see anything about temperatures for the 77 - anyone know off-hand if it's ok if it's 40' or so?
  • Salguod
    Options
    Well, here is the full instructions:
    http://www.lacrosselitho.com/library/pdfs/3M Super 77 Adhesive Spray.pdf

You are supposed to apply it at 65 degrees or above. So I wouldn't do it much colder than that. Perhaps you can drag the egg inside or someplace warm?
  • Spaceman Spiff
    Options
    Not sure what went wrong but I use a flap wheel on an angle grinder to get down bare ceramic and then use a 600 degree silicon caulk for 'gluing' it.

Only wait a half day or so to fire it up.

Spacey
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    don't wimp out on the super77. it's rubber cement. spray the rim and the gasket itself liberally and let cure for about 30 seconds. (gives you the strongest bond)
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    OzarkQ,

Before you start using power tools, flap wheels, grinders and such, take some time and make a telephone call to service at BGE.

Ask them if that is the way to clean the gasket surface. At the same time ask them if it will void the warranty.

Possibly you can get a memo or email for 'the ghost of stike' to talk about.

GG
  • Salguod
    Options
    GG is right. Isopropyl alcohol works great. Use acetone if you must. But beyond that, a scraper is all you need. We can argue all day about whether a specific power tool would be safe when another is not. But why bother? BGE says that any power tools void the warranty, so that should be that. Bottom line, the power tools are not necessary. Don’t even plug in that Binford 9000!
  • OzarkQ
    Options
    Hey GG - The gasket came with instructions and it said to use acetone, but my guess is I wimped out on the 77, but I'll get back on it!
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    as per my email...

For me using acetone ends up taking a lot more work.

gasket2.jpg

GG
  • mo egg
    mo egg Posts: 143
    Options
    i installed mine i think the temp. was about 50 degrees i had my son help me. we sprayed both sides with the supper 77 i think my son sprayed each side about 5 times and wait 5 min. then install. let set for 24 hrs. that was a month ago. had no problems with it. cooked on it many times
  • WokOnMedium
    WokOnMedium Posts: 1,376
    Options
    Wanted to replace my gasket, and 65 degrees was another month away, so I drug the egg in the house, and did it in the kitchen. I sprayed the super 77 into a cup and spread it on with a disposable foam brush. I was able to get plenty on without spraying it everywhere. Very easy!
    03-03-09_1043.jpg

Just lost the gasket on this little guy over the weekend. The nomex is coming, and this one will be much easier to drag into the house!

03-18-09_1055.jpg