Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fighting the vacation binge

Options
EGC
EGC Posts: 448
edited November -1 in Weight Loss Forum
I think the cold I picked up is really helping me keep things under control at the beach. Normally, I'm several beers deep by early afternoon, and accelerating from there.

Walking / really, REALLY slow jogging for a couple of miles a day on the path, plus walks on the beach with the kids.

Missing the egg big time. Nice stove-top fire trying to blacken some grouper. Thankfully, some Comet and elbow grease removed the smoke stains.

Comments

• Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    try fighting the eggfest binge
  • Chef in the Making
    Options
    Life's to shot enjoy the vacation and get back on track when you get home
  • Midnight Smoker
    Options
    While I agree that life is indeed too short, you can still enjoy the vacation eating experience without the binge. I love to try new places to eat and new things when we go on vacation. But I also don't like to feel as though I need to work out so I can enjoy it guilt free. Vacations are for sitting around on my butt and wondering if I will do anything today or not. Go ahead and get a dessert, but split it with someone. Avoid the buffet if possible. Enjoy yourself, but be sensible. If you know you are going out to a place with big dinners and you want to scarf it all down, plan ahead and eat a small lunch. Avoid eating dinner at 9 pm. I've also been known to follow the "It's 5 o'clock somewhere" mantra while at the beach. Sure it's a treat and out of the ordinary and I won't deprieve myself of the experience, but I need to avoid the bag of chips that I usually wash it down with.

Treat the vacation as a relaxing getaway where you get to do and experience different things. Don't treat it as an excuse to be unhealthy. That's a slippery slope that I've been down too many times. First it's vacation. Then it's birthdays. Then it's the fact I had a bad day. Then it's golfing. Then it's the entire weekend. Then it's football season. Before I know it I'm totally out of control.

I'm going on vacation in a few weeks myself and part of my rambling here it to remind myself that I'm trying to undergo a lifestyle change that will hopefully lead to a longer healthier life, not just a goal of losing weight. For me, I'm trying to instill a permanent change. While that may not be everyones goal, I've lost too much weight in my life and always put every pound back on because I treated it all as a temporary endeavor to reach a target weight. Once the target was achieved, it was back to the same habits that put me in the position to need to lose the weight.
  • EGC
    EGC Posts: 448
    Options
    Midnight Smoker wrote:

Treat the vacation as a relaxing getaway where you get to do and experience different things. Don't treat it as an excuse to be unhealthy. That's a slippery slope that I've been down too many times. First it's vacation. Then it's birthdays. Then it's the fact I had a bad day. Then it's golfing. Then it's the entire weekend. Then it's football season. Before I know it I'm totally out of control.

Story of my life. I'm better off just saying "no" rather than finding excuses to say "yes."

Thanks for the support!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    pretty much why i didnt stop drinking during this weight loss, i need to know were that fine line between drinking and eating is to maintain the weight after i get the weight off. took me two years in college to figure out i was better off drinking and studying at the same time, had to flunk out before i realized that studying sober over night before tests was not working for me, when i went back to try it again it was with a book open and a six pack on the desk, after the forth beer was empty i shut the book and drank the rest, never overstudied again, never went sleepless before a test and did so much better. B) must be the german and irish in me
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Chef in the Making
    Options
    I know your a right and like you I am going to Florida for a week or two so your response was very timely. forme to succed this has to ba a lifestyle change and not just a passing fad.

Thanks for the kick in the ---
  • Midnight Smoker
    Options
    No problem!! A lot of times I don't listen to the voice inside my head, so verbalizing it or in this case typing it out helps me kick myself too. :laugh:

This whole group is great and helps me immensely. My usual diet crew at work starts in January and always seems to tail off about this time of year with excuses, myself included. But not this time. I'm determined to do this and make it permanent.