Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

searing prime rib

Options
fishlessman
fishlessman Posts: 32,776
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
i have been cooking two bone prime rib with the TREX method with excellent results but it is a pain tosear all the edges. Has any one tried digging a hole in the lump the size of the roast and searing it with one flip
fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    fishlessman,
    i've done some 2 ribbers, but have not seared using trex method (and it is my favorite way to do steaks). ..w/ prime rib, i set the prime rib on its bones in a drip pan, put it in the egg at 500 degrees, then immediately tighten down the vents to a roasting temp of 325. .. the time in at 500 down to 325, while not necessarily 'searing' the meat, does servew to 'seal' so that no juices are lost, then it gets to slow roast like a prime rib should. . .i then let them roast in the egg till done. ..they have been fantastic every time. ... [p]anyway, that's my two cents. ..

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    fishlessman,[p]I haven't tried what you ask.[p]Since prime rib has a large layer of fat in it, I prefer to cook it lower and slower (250-275°F for 35-45 minutes/pound). I cook it directly on the grill and flip every 30-40 minutes, exposing all sides to the fire, finishing the cook bone side down.[p]The end result is a nice chewy crust and delicious bones.[p]Spin
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    fishlessman,
    You could try Alton Brown's method. Cook low and slow until you are a certain number of degrees below the desired internal temp, then turn up the heat to 500 for a certain amount of time to finish and develop the outer crust. I don't remember the details, but it was on his show where he used the flower pot to cook in a nasty old oven that he "borrowed" from a relative while they were out of town. Here is the recipe from foodtv.com [p]TNW

[ul][li]Alton Brown Prime Rib Method[/ul]
    The Naked Whiz
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    I notice that this version is slightly different than what was on his show. I don't think that the meat temp will rise 12 degrees, and I don't remember him doing the 500 for only 10 minutes. But the basic method is there.[p]TNW
    The Naked Whiz