Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The Perfect Cook

Options
BamaEGG
BamaEGG Posts: 170
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Has anyone ever had a perfect cook when it comes to a butt? Every time I do one it is an adventure and or at least one thing throws me a curve ball. Here is my list.

1. Turbo butt - finishes way early
2. Butt goes to long and not ready in time
3. Power goes out and stoker is dead in the water
4. Fire goes out
5. Not enough lump
6. lump burns straight down
7. Multiple plateaus
8. Butt touches 189 and stops or falls and your dead set on 190+

I'm sure the list goes on and on "BUTT" I still look for that perfect cook. Exactly two hours per pound and done about a hour or two before time to eat and no fire issues.

Oh, I didnt judge lump well enough last night. Two 8 pounders sitting in plateau and stoker struggling to keep it in range. Open the dome and peer down into the abyss. All I see among faint splotches of orange is the open holes of the grate in the bottom of the egg. Glad I grabbed some lump yesterday.

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Light in multiple spots barley under the surface.

Put more lump in the egg, fill to mid or top of the fire ring.

Set the stoker pit temp at 225° and read st the grate or set the pit probe at 250° - 260° and clip to the thermometer. If you have any type of ramp set - don't.

Don't cook to time. Use time as a guide line. When done if you will wrap in foil then wrap in a heavy blanket or 2 yds of fleece blanket material the butt will hold 'HOT' for 5 to 6 hours.

GG