Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

medium

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
OK - I may purchase the Medium this weekend! (very good price) and if all goes well! plan on another future purchase to compliment!

Question - ribs - would I have to cut in half to cook or would a whole rack fit! seems like this site says the medium will fit 4 rack vertically!

would cutting a rack of ribs in half - hurt anything with the cook and/or turn out!

Is a medium big enough to cook pizza on! I would assume so - just maybe a smaller stone!

Thanks

Comments

• Otobiz
    Otobiz Posts: 82
    Options
    I have cooked 6 racks of baby backs in a rib rack, I did not cut them, yes you can cook pizza on the meduim ,just buy a meduim stone
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    It depends a little on the ribs you are using. Most of the untrimmed spares I find are around 5.5 lb, and are just a bit longer than the medium will handle. I've had a few small 3.5 - 4 lb slabs, and they fit on without trimming.

I find that I get somewhat better results cooking ribs flat, so its one slab in the center, and another cut in half on each side. For bigger cooks, the ribs get cut into as many sections as will fit into my vertical rack. Takes a little longer, and I usually mop the tops a bit in the last few hours.

You might want to do a few cooks just to get a handle on temperature control before starting ribs. Once you learn to ease into the 250 dome temperature, and let it get stable, ribs become quite easy. Don't fuss too much with your vents. Anything between 235 and 270 will work pretty well, and give a better result than chasing the temperature up and down trying to get exactly 250, or whatever.

The medium has a 12" pizza stone. A bit smaller than some pizzas, but otherwise, its just fine. I've let the rim droop over the edge of the stone a bit, and it hasn't hurt.
  • civil eggineer
    civil eggineer Posts: 1,547
    Options
    I have had and cooked on a medium for over 1 year and love it. Without taking away from the large owners, it burns a lot less lump and can cook for 18+ hours on a single load. I have cooked whole briskets, over 15 lbs of butt (2 butts), a 17+ lb turkey, etc. I can cook for 5 to 6 comfortably but mostly cook for my wife and I. There have been zero instances where the size held me back and have fed 24 people pulled pork at my church. That said I don't have a rib rack and usually cut the rack to fit on the grid. A rib rack would allow me to increase the rib amount but so far one rack has been enough. Don't hesitate about the medium, it is one of the least praised egg but by far the best value.

Almost forgot about pizzas. They are incredible and one of the cooks I do for guests when I want to leave them speachless. I usually cook two, one after another so both are hot and fresh off the egg.
  • Timmy Your post is what i really needed to read! i have really been struggling with this decision. it looks like a medium it is!

how long does a pizza cook take! I never really thought about 2 smaller ones and cooking them back to back! thks
  • civil eggineer
    Options
    I cook my 12" pizzas at 400 dome temp for 30 minutes. I have tried numerous other combinations and this one seems to work for me. A 12" pizza can easily stuff 2 people, if its loaded up on topings.

The medium is really a great grill size. Some day I may get a large but I would never give up my medium as it warms up faster, less lump, easily reach high temps and good at low & slows. If you were frequently going to cook for 8+ people I would say get a large but if most cooks will be for 2 to 6 the medium will rock your world!
  • Gandolf
    Gandolf Posts: 906
    Options
    You're gonna love it! Actually I use the BGE 14" pizza stone on my Medium and it works fine. Leaves about 1.5 inches all around for air flow. Let us know how it turns out.
  • MilitantSquatter
    Options
    I have two mediums...

Great for grilling and a pork butt or other large meat cut in qty of 1.

Personally, I feel they are two small for ribs if you want to cook flat or have more than one rack. At the widest point it's 15" and ribs are typically 4-5" wide Any more than one will need to be cut in half and added to the top and bottom of the first rack.

A really compact rib rack might be a viable option but I have not tried that yet.

I'm buying an XL to allow for larger cooks and longer cuts of meat to compliment the Mediums depending on my need for a given cook.

Good Luck !!
  • R&R Futures Trader
    Options
    I agree with Mr. Civil Eggineer about the medium. I have had one for about 13 years now and really love it. I have cooked ribs for 15 people on it, ok it took a bit of effort, but it worked!. As to pizza, you can go up to about 14 inch dia pizza stone with it. I normally do a 600 degree cook for pizza with goods results. Time is around 6 to 8 minutes.

You will be happy with a medium unless of course you want to feed an army....

ross
  • civil eggineer
    Options
    I squeeze 2-8 lb butts on all the time. I figure as long as your going to go through the effort cook two for efficiency. I vacuum bag them using a ziplock hand bagger and the keep their goodness in the freezer until I decide to open one.