Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

three questions

Chef in the Making
Chef in the Making Posts: 902
edited November -1 in Weight Loss Forum
I was wondering what other eggers were doing to lose the weight. Is it execise, diet or a combination and would you be willing to share them.

I have been exercising four or five days a week for one hour on the elliptical and on a stationary bike. soon I will be out rowing. I use my heart monitor religously to ensure I stay within the fat burn and aerobic zones.

I have also reduced the amount of pasta, starches, sweets, white bread and almost all snack foods. I do eat red meat but now I eat significantly more pork and chicken.

Last question is ow do you fight the urge to keep pigging out?

Thanks

Comments

• I don't see how anyone can loose weight looking at all this great food. :laugh: My best luck is cutting out all suger. Stop all the white stuff, Breads, pastas, rice. Cut back on all carbs And get out of the Lazy boy more often. Eat more often but in small amounts and exercise. Easier said than done. Good Luck.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    500 calories of meat or cheese every other day, 8 guinnesses a night, sometimes a sifter or two of limoncello or buca on the weekends. :blink: it really works, im not hungry anymore, seriously. i do eat a half cup of dry cerial a day. for some reason when im eating normally i cant skip a meal, right now i can skip meals for days.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • crghc98
    crghc98 Posts: 1,006
    I joined Weight Watchers online...No surprise my portion sizes were way out of control...For me the weight watchers diet has been about using portion control and adapting recipes to be more healthy. I have limited beef and pork intake as well to once or twice a week.

However I've made things like shepherd's pie using ground turkey with a WW recipe. It was rather good to and they have some neat substitutions to make things more healthy. These could be made on the egg too if you wanted. There website has a ton of recipes. We downloaded a ton and have been going through them one by one...

Last night was kabobs...just limited the beef to 6oz and ate way more veggies.

I also have been working out 5 days a week (45 min a day), taking wed and sunday off.
  • For me is has been portion control almost exclusively. If I can split it and make two meals out of it, I do. We only go out to eat about once a week now and even then we will almost always split a meal. If we don't, then we just each eat half and then I have two lunches. When I need a snack, I now grab a grapefruit or something similar.

I have not been exercising beyond the occasional round of golf. But it is now yard mowing time so I'll have that to help burn some more calories.

I too have the "urges". They usually occur when I'm just sitting around. So now I take that as a sign I need to be doing something else. I just try to do something to occupy my mind instead. Doesn't always work, but it does more often than not.

With previous weight loss endeavors, if I did eat a big meal or snack a lot and gain a pound, I'd just say "screw it" and gain 3 or 4 for the week. Now it is all about the long term goal. I know I can't afford the big gain because it wastes that week plus the next 2 or 3 or 4 to lose it.

My big hope is that this whole endeavor will carry over into a permanent lifestyle change. So for me that is why I am not adding a lot of exercising. I know from previous experience that after I lose the weight I'm not going to be a gym rat. I want what I am doing now to be something I can continue with for the rest of my (hopefully longer) life.
  • My thanks to all for the responses. Tere were some great tips. I will have to look at the WW recipes.

Again thanks for the replies.
  • EGC
    EGC Posts: 448
    I'm trying to do cardio 4+ times a week and weights 3 times a week, which can be tough given my travel schedule for work. Trying to limit some of the bad stuff like Krispy Kremes to NEVER. If I eat one, I'll eat a dozen.

When my late night sweet tooth hits, I put a couple / three tablespoons of creamy peanut butter in a small dish and top with 2 or 3 tablespoons of ground flax seeds and a spot of honey. Fixes the sweet tooth, gives me some fiber and omegas which helps me on three fronts.

Also, trying to really up my water intake -- 120 ounces a day.

Keep up the good work, everyone!
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Get out of that "fat burn zone" mentality. That is garbage science.

The harder you work, the more calories you will burn, and the higher you will boost your metabolism.

The "fat burn zone" just gives a built-in excuse to exercise at a lower intensity. If you're going to move, then move! Get your heart rate up above 125-130 and keep it there for 30 minutes several days a week. Use some portion control and some common sense. It's not necessarily what you eat, but how much of it.

For example, today I went to a burger joint (Five Guys - yum) with a friend and instead of getting the double cheeseburger loaded with bacon and mayo I got a single hamburger, no cheese, with just veggies. I ate about half the fries and then tossed them in the trash bin so I wouldn't be tempted to pick at them as we sat there and chatted about the terrible round I just shot on the golf course. I enjoyed it just as much and shaved a ton of calories and fat grams from the meal.

These are the rules I am using and I have lost a pretty good chunk of weight so far.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    other areas of the menu can be good too, i hit the fudruckers here about every other week, turkey sliders with sweet potato fries are good if you toss some of the bunns, they also have crispy fried fish on their menu, but they will grill it for you if you want, both taste great, i never would have known.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • crghc98
    crghc98 Posts: 1,006
    finally getting some weather here. Hoping to get out for the first round this week...