Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Boston Butt/Pulled Pork Pics (HVY)

Options
Misippi Egger
Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
This is the first time I have tried this in a couple of years.
I injected two 8# butts with Cajun injection sauce (Garlic/Butter). I then rubbed one with Dizzy Pig Coarse ground Dizzy Dust. The other was injected with a locally-made rub - Rebel Rub. DSC_0010.jpg
Stacked lump (large pieces -> small pieces) up to within about 1 inch or so of the top of the fire ring. DSC_0004.jpg
Grids: Adjustable rig with drip pan on middle rack and BGE large grid on top.
DSC_0005.jpg
Butts on the LBGE: DSC_0007.jpg
BBQ Guru settings - Pit temp = 225* / Meat goal temp = 205* DSC_0008.jpg
Finished. DSC_0011.jpg
Ready to pull - great Bark ! DSC_0015.jpg
Pulled one and set aside in frig for picnic on Saturday. The other got vacuum packed for future eats. DSC_0020.jpg
DSC_0021.jpg
It doesn't get any better than this!!! :woohoo: :woohoo: DSC_0016_2.jpg
Note: Lump remaining - up to firebox (this was a 15 hour cook) ! WOW ! DSC_0013.jpg

Comments

• Misippi Egger
    Options
    Oops. Forgot to mention...

Hard for both of us to tell the two rubs apart. We both slightly preferred the DPDD rub, but really can't say why! I think it is less salty for one thing and not as 'strong' - probably the turbinato sugar in it. I used about 1/3 of a jar on this 8# butt.

Looking forward to our picnic Saturday - got both "flavors" of Carnivore to use on the pork.

Gotta support our "Egghead family" or rubs and sauces! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244
    Options
    Those look fantastic! Great photos. The Guru rocks, I have the DigiQ and for the low and slows it great, I sleep very well when it is in control. :)

Gator
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Options
    Man those look awesome egger!..I just used my last leftover PP this week for pork enchiladas :( ..no time this weekend to smoke anymore so I'm outta PP for at least a week...grrr :angry:
  • BuBaQlishus
    BuBaQlishus Posts: 132
    Options
    Great thread...nice job! I like the grate set up can you tell me which one it is....
  • DHall
    DHall Posts: 180
    Options
    Looks great....except for that ugly mascot on the other rub hehe.
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    seeing your name just reminded me I need to pick up some more JD for the weekend. :evil:
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    sorry, last post was meant to be a reply to you!
    D&@n iPhone!
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    I have a large egg.

I purchased the Spider and adjustable rig from Todd at the Ceramic Grill store:

www.ceramicgrillstore.com

What I used was the adjustable rig with the 14" rectangular drip pan set on the middle rack (that puts it 3" above the fire ring). I then placed my original BGE grid on top of the rig which is 3" above the drip pan. It was my first time to try that setup and it worked like a charm - Thanks, Todd.

His products are well designed and of high quality. I used one of his stainless steel 14" drip pans also. My wish list from there includes a Wok, some oval grids and a grill extender. :whistle: :silly:
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    Let's see.......
    Basketball season is about over and, well it won't be long before those "other guys" will have to endure another football season. Ohhh Pain... :woohoo: :laugh: :laugh:

Actually it is a great rub, but as things go, you don't get credit in your own back yard. The majority of their sales ship to retailers in Texas and the Carolinas (many are repackaged under different labels). Go figure.... :unsure: