Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

stoker/guru

KcLeaf
KcLeaf Posts: 62
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
can't seem to find the prices on these units. how much will i pay for either. and which one do think is better
regards K

Comments

• lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    http://secure.thebbqguru.com/ProductCart/pc/configurePrd.asp?idproduct=235

be back with stoker if i cn find it .. i have neither.. both work well i am told stoker has more computer linky stuff but i think you need to be a bit of a computer nerd to take advantage of that go to the naked whiz for all things egg
  • Chappy
    Chappy Posts: 198
    I have the stoker. I did a brisket last night. Started it at 9:00. I got up around 2 and the temp was still right at 250, meat temp at 142. It finished at 8:00 this morning. It is really nice not having to check the temps all the time for low and slow cooks.

Some people say the stoker is more difficult. I only have the stoker and have not used the Guru, but I don't think it is hard to navigate the screen at all.
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244
    Hi klf84

I have the Guru DigiQ II with the 10CFM blower on a medium BGE. My first 2 cooks were pork butts with the DigiQ and both were perfect. My next cook was a pork loin roast that also was perfect.

I think either system will perform equally well and that it is just deciding what options you desire as they both go for about the same price.
    I know the DigiQ is built very well.

BBQguru is also working on the CyberQ II that is not on the market yet that will control multiple grills and will have a computer link. I have no idea when it is coming out or what the price will be. I guess you might be able to have two BGE's, put a pork butt in one, a brisket in the other and be able to monitor and control the temps from your office at work. :blink: :blink: :blink:

The digital draft controllers are fantastic for low and slow and mid range cooks where you want a steady constant temp for an extended length of time. My DigiQ will keep my MBGE at 230* for over 24 hours on one load of lump if needed. I also let the DigiQ control the BGE when I light it for a low and slow and it never over shoots the set pit temp. For the fast high heat stuff I leave it in the box.
    For steaks, brats, burgers and that sort of thing the dome thermometer works fine. Don't spend a lot of money and think it will do everything for you but they are fantastic.

Gator
  • Both are quality Temp control devices.

My Stoker allows me to monitor several different meats at once when that is important. I use multiple meat probes on briskets with the flat and point getting their own meat probe.

Handy.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• KcLeaf
    thanks for the replies. I have or will have a med BGE within days. Man the price on those varies quite a bit. How much is a digiQ. Meanwhile i will check out the price, I was on the web sight mentioned earlier before the post , will try again.
    I saw the pictures. But it is hard to tell. Is it hard to set up? How does it connect to the dampers etc. I know that the best thing is to read the info but hey.
    thanks
  • KcLeaf
    thanks for the replies. I have or will have a med BGE within days. Man the price on those varies quite a bit. How much is a digiQ. Meanwhile i will check out the price, I was on the web sight mentioned earlier before the post , will try again.
    I saw the pictures. But it is hard to tell. Is it hard to set up? How does it connect to the dampers etc. I know that the best thing is to read the info but hey.
    thanks
  • KcLeaf
    got the price. how hard are they to set up.
    what is the mechanism that makes the dampers open or close?
  • Chappy
    Basically it is a door that opens and closes. It is closed by gravity and when the blower turns on, it the air pushes it open. The blower just plugs into the controller. You then set what the pit temp should be. IF its set at 250 the blower will go on when the temp drops below that and goes off when it gets above. That's how it controls the temp. With the stoker you can set what meat temp you want and when it gets there, there is an alarm that goes off.

You can hook it up to a lap top or wireless bridge and check from any internet connection. It is not hard to set up, but you will probably ask someone who has already done it.

Both would be fine choices and will keep the temp constant.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Chappy,

Navigate the display or the computer screen?

GG
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    I bought the DigiQII (q2) first then the Stoker.

Both are great.

Like Chappy said the Stoker has a gravity damper door that closes when the fan is not running. The q2 has a slider that one can set to however wide open they want.

I have the 10 cmf fan on both brands. On the q2 at first I kept overshooting the desired temperature. I come to find out that too much free air was getting past the fan on the q2. That problem was easily resolved by closing the airflow gate to 1/3.

The Stoker can data log the entire cook which at times if fun and interesting. Hooking up to the internet or LAN is not hard at all.

If I use the q2 I generally also use a Maverick ET-73 at the same time so I can see the readings inside the house or when I go to bed.

The q2 is smaller in size which is a plus to me.

The stoker, at the same time, can monitor & control different eggs, different pieces of meat inside each egg, multiple fans.

Either will give you great results.

If I were going to use one egg at a time and did not ever want the option to monitor the cook or change control the powered vent system I would probably get the q2.

I really don't think you would be disappointed buying either unit.

The reason I bought the Stoker after the q2 was because I also wanted the computer connection.

GG
  • Chappy
    Grandpas Grub wrote:
    Chappy,

Navigate the display or the computer screen?

GG

The display. I havent really used the computer that much. I set it up, but still like to go outside to check the temps anyway. I think you gave me the screenshot of the lynksys setup...that was what I needed to set it up.
  • UnConundrum
    UnConundrum Posts: 536
    I too have both, and both are great products. The Guru folks provide great support and are personal friends. I'm one of the guys who moved over to the stoker for the computer access. This past Christmas, we did a meal for the homeless and I monitored 6 eggs at once with one stoker. There's also more flexibility with the probes. If you ask John to modify a plug for you, you can use any K-type probe. I purchased some K-type cable extensions and had John put his 1/4" phono plugs on the end of each. Now, I can plug any K-type probe I want into the other end of the extension.

With the computer connection (internet) I can not only monitor the status of my cook from anywhere in the world, but I can change the temperatures as well :)

If Fred (Guru) is coming out with an internet version, I'm sure it will be very well made too :)
  • KcLeaf
    thanks, :) amazing
  • KcLeaf
    thanks, :) amazing
  • KcLeaf
    why do my posts go twice. thats how new i am to this forum
  • did 30 hours on my Large Egg with the stoker on one load of lump. From 200-225, and that was with a burn up to 350.

It is amazing!