Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ft. Bragg followup

Options
The Naked Whiz
The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
peteandmike.jpg

Well, Pete pulled it off. Although there weren't as many participants as we had hoped due to the sorry weather, the volunteers still cooked enough pulled pork, hamburgers and hot dogs to feed 3500 people. The photo is Col. Bricker presenting the Iron Mike award to Pete for his efforts in getting the volunteers and the food together to help send off the 82nd Combat Aviation Brigade to Afghanistan with a good meal. (I know some of you would rather see the photo of Pete crawling out of his sleeping bag (I have one!) or Pete crawling out of a latrine (I must have missed that one!) I thought Pete deserved a little better than that. :)

Also special thanks should go out to Tommy Houston of the Checkered Pig cooking team for bringing a monstrous rig that cooked well over half the pork. He had the stuff and it made a big difference.

Just in case you know any of these folks, here is who was there:

David Clark (our own Charleston Dave!)
Roy Murray (Tarheel Smokers)
Tommy Houston, Andy Phillips, Robert Hopkins (Checkered Pig)
Doug Vozza (our own Sparky!)
Bill Martin (all the way from St. Louis)
Mike Lewis, Bruce Farrell and Megan Farrell (from Raleigh)
Robert and Lynn Entrekin, Phyllis and Jim Gorham (Holy Smokes BBQ all the way from Alabama)
Tom and Chris McCarthy (Georgia)

All the photos will be on my website later. This is gonna take some time, but I'll hurry!
The Naked Whiz

Comments

• Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    I am Still just shaking my head! You guys all deserve a big pat on the back and a hug! thank you, thank you, thank you for doing all that! Here I go crying again! LOL
  • Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    Options
    Thanks, TNW.

Thanks, Pete - what a GREAT cause !

I look forward to seeing all the pics.
  • Marc  from IL
    Options
    Thats Outstanding work!!! Cheers
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Options
    Give us the details when you get back.
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    what a great cause!! thanks to all the volenteers {sp} i am sure everyone's hard work was appreciated ;)

thanks especially to pete i wish i could have helped..

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Pork Butt Mike
    Pork Butt Mike Posts: 2,584
    Options
    Glad things all worked out for you guys. Congratulations Pete on your award, you deserve it. Thanks to all of you for your hard work for our Troops. What a great cause to donate your time and efforts and to all for there donations.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Iron Mike will get a special place in my home. All the people who help and/or contributed to the effort a special place in my heart.

I already told them that we will be welcoming them back home 15 months or sooner if they accomplish there mission.

I will write more on this later when i have had a chance to rest up..

For those that want to know I smiles A LOT..
  • Celtic Wolf
    Options
    Before you all start funeral arrangements the egg itself survive.

We moving from the dirt to the hard surface and the nest collapse. It it hit the ground on the edge and rolled. The only thing that did not survive was the vent screen...

You can all breath a sigh of relief.

The Guru's performed as they should, despite a lots and the cover popping open.

Time to thaw or and dry out..
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    Hey PETE! good news on the egg! :kiss: we are looking forward to seeing you next weekend and hearing all about the cook! HUGS! Julie and Neil
  • Celtic Wolf
    Options
    me and Iron Mike will be there
  • Bevo
    Bevo Posts: 179
    Options
    Pete,

You're a great American.

And, speaking of Celtics, Happy St. Patrick's Day in advance. Corned beef & cabbage and all the trimmings served here tomorrow.
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Very cool! Really glad to hear it went well despite the weather. Pete, you should be real proud about what you just pulled off! Sounds like you had some great help too. Tommy is, plain and simply, a machine. And the others on the list ain't no slouches either.

Pete, way to go man!
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Options
    Hey Doug,I can't wait to see your pics.It was a pleasure meeting you.I had a great time despite the weather :ohmy:I'm lookin forward to doing it again(without the rain and cold) :woohoo: :)
  • Celtic Wolf
    Options
    It was a thrill to watch Tommy and crew and Roy blast through all that pork.

The gang I fed Thursday night were all impressed with the flavor of the steaks as well.

They a were all rubbed up with Raising the Steaks, Cowlick or Red-Eye.

More than once of the Soldiers said they'd be on dizzypigbbq.com as soon as they could.

In case anybody asks 20 pounds of Dizzy Dust is more than enough to make 1200 pounds of pork happy.

-Despite the rain it as all worth it.. Every Eggfest I do and every competition I go to Iron Mike will be going with me. It belongs to all of you as well.
  • Shilomare
    Shilomare Posts: 103
    Options
    Pete..

You made us proud. WELL DONE and THANK YOU AGAIN!

Richard and Carol
    Annapolis, MD
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Iron Mike is a beautiful award. Well deserved.

Glad the rub was enough. I figgered you might have some left over. Thanks for having the faith to put DP on all that special food!

Hats off to ya bro.
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Celtic Wolf
    Options
    Having the faith was the easy part Chris.. I believe there was a bunch left over.

Not sure who ended up with it, but they deserved it.

Iron Mike is even more cool up close..

He'll be in Danville.
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    One other thing about Tommy, the machine. He may be a machine, but that machine produced some really really good pulled pork. I forget who I told, but when all those soldiers were telling us it was fantastic, they weren't just being polite. The pork was fandamtastic!
    The Naked Whiz
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    I'm wading through them. I ended up with 250 photos. I hope to finish the weeding tonight and then produce the album tomorrow or Monday. Funny how many photos I have of helicopters :)
    The Naked Whiz
  • Celtic Wolf
    Options
    that was me

You should have seen them when we started handing out left overs
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    I didn't see your name on there?! Great job! Tremendous effort!
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    You are right, it was you. I wish I had taken photos as we cleaned up, but I figured I had been lazy long enough and started helping Sgt. Nixon bag up the leftovers.

Folks, he was filling GALLON ziploc bags almost to the bursting point with pulled pork, and soldiers lined up to get them. We had more soldiers come up after we ran out. Gosh, we had tons of pork left over and in 15 minutes it was all gone. That might have been the most impressive part of the whole evening.
    The Naked Whiz