Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Kroger Corned Beef???

Hoss
Hoss Posts: 14,600
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My local Kroger just sent out a flyer advertising Kroger Corned Beef Brisket,flat cut, for $2.39 per pound.My question is is this a good price and also what the heck would I do with it after I bought it??? :huh: :huh: :unsure:

Comments

• Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Hoss...They are getting ready for St Patties Day! The price is fair, though you may see it as low as 2.09... price is definately fair. The traditional way to cook corned beef, sorry eggers, is simply simmered in water for a couple three hours (they usually include a packet of pickling spice to simmer it with) then the last hour, add large cubed potatos, carrots, and the last 30 min add wedges of cabbage. This would be a traditional "Irish Meal". The meat has already been cured, so,cooking any other way other than wet will result in an overly salty and tough piece of meat. If you have a Cast Iron Dutch Oven, you can simmer it on the egg.
    Just remember, corned=cured...not a raw flat brisket like you would BBQ.
    Hope this helps!
    Michelle
    Hollywood, FL
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,759
    LOL Good Question . . . often wondered that myself :unsure:

WallyWorld has the 3-4 pound corned beef briskets flats
    but have never tried them as yet. Be interested to see what others suggest.
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Little Chef
    See above post. :) It is solid advice.
  • Hoss
    Thanks sooo much.My son has an Irish heritage on his mother's side.Very proud of it I might add.He is comming home next week,Spring Break,I think that would be a cool surprise for him.We have never cooked anything like that before.He will turn 20 on the 30th of March,do u think a few cold Guiness's would be an appropo inclusion??? :whistle: :woohoo: :woohoo: ;)
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,759
    Thank You!
    That answered my curiousity if that could be grilled/smoked for bbq beef.
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Great price.

Fantastic cook on an egg. I really like thirdeye's instructions.

This is also discussed in the post below, here are my thoughts.

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=606397&catid=1

Oh, and what to do with it, corned beef/pastrami in the traditional cook. Pastrami sandwiches and don't forget a huge pastrami burger.

All great stuff...

GG
  • Little Chef
    If he can't drink a Guiness or 2 with Dad, who can he??? (might want to have a few Buds on hand to have beers to his liking!) ;) Dad....no offense, I doubt they will be his first beers! :whistle: He's 20... the drinking age will be 18 again soon....
    Have fun!!! Don't forget to kiss the Blarney Stone!! ;-)
  • Scott
    Scott Posts: 28
    If you smoke it you will have pastrami, which I like even more than corned beef. Of course you'll need to soak it in cold water first to get rid of some of the salt.

Here is a link to a great recipe on thirdeye's site that soaks a store bought corned beef.
    http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1996/05/beef-pastrami.html

Or see http://www.bbqsearch.com/search/3312.shtm if you want to corn your own brisket.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Both are essentially the same. Pastrami is usually smoked and corned beef usually is not and sometimes boiled.

GG
  • Firetruck
    Firetruck Posts: 2,679
    what do you mean the drinking age will be 18?
  • Firetruck
    Firetruck Posts: 2,679
    Hoss

I'm just a few clicks north of you and I think I saw regular brisket on sale at walmart neighborhood mkt. in Bartlett.
  • Scott
    Scott Posts: 28
    Yes. I prefer the smoked corned beef (aka pastrami) over the boiled or broiled corn beef. My wife thinks it is just an excuse to fire up the egg.

Scott
  • bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    Leagal age in Fl is 21. You can go to war and die for your country, but can't have a drink...
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Little Chef wrote:
    The meat has already been cured, so,cooking any other way other than wet will result in an overly salty and tough piece of meat.

Sorry chef, but I'm going to have to disagree. I have used these pre-soaked corned beefs to make some terrific pastrami. Soak for a few hours to remove a little salt, rub the exterior with a blend of spices heavy on the pepper, and slow smoke to 170 or so and they are fall apart tender and absolutely great on some rye bread.
  • This would be a traditional "Irish Meal".

I'm going to be picky here, but only to point out that corned beef and cabbage is not a traditional Irish meal. The Irish do eat it, but are FAR more likely to eat bacon(similar to what we call Canadian bacon) with their cabbage. What we in the USA call corned beef and cabbage and eat on St. Patrick's Day is very American. Mark
  • Hoss
    I think I'll just buy two and try both ways!!! ;):whistle:
  • Grillin Guy
    Grillin Guy Posts: 302
    I cooked three corned beef briskets for New Years Day. One on the egg, one in a crock pot and one in a dutch oven. I was looking for a traditional New Year's meal with corned beef, cabbage and black eye peas. The one in the dutch oven was, by far, the better one for that meal. But I will say this, the one on the egg sliced up to make some great sandwich meat.