Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pulled Pork Question?

Options
Peggy
Peggy Posts: 122
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
The egg is sooooooo fabulous. We are all so lucky! I just got done cooking 2 pork butts (13 pounds total weight)and they are to die for. Rubbed them with Dr Chicken's Whammo Rub and placed them on the large last night at 8 p.m. using a platesetter, drip pan and hickory. Fire held most of the night at 225. This morning at 7:30, dome temp had creeped down to 180, but the pork butts were doing just fine holding at 170 internal for butt 1 and 160 for butt 2. Opened the vent just a tat and the fire cranked up to 250 in minutes!!! (The Egg works like a charm!!!) Anyway, I just pulled the pork off the egg after a 16 hour cook and internal temp @ 200. Butt 1 came off a tat earlier since it reached 200 internal temp first. I took a nibble and practically fainted it was sooo yummy. I'm soooo excited! Here is my question? The butts are currently wrapped in foil and a towel to keep them warm and to let them rest. How long should you let the pork rest until you pull it? I was thinking about 1 hour? Tell me what the "experts" do. Thanks so much!! Peggy

Comments

• Big Murth
    Big Murth Posts: 350
    Options
    Peggy,
    Sounds like you're right on track for a successful spread this evening! Congratulations, and yes....an hour is fine and if you had to, a couple or three hours would be OK too, although if you want to let them sleep that long, it's probably best to stash them in an ice chest along with a substantial towel insulation job...to really keep the heat, moisture, and goodness in. I think that when you pull it out to "pull it", it still should be almost too hot to handle with your bare fingies!! Bon Apetit!!
    Big Murth

• Zip
    Zip Posts: 372
    Options
    Peggy,[p]I like to let it sit an hour if not longer. It seems to pull better and has better moisture distribution after a nice rest. Let the desired serving time and finally the resting meat temp considering above 140º as safe. [p]Ashley
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Peggy,
    One hour is fine, they will still be to hot to handle without some gloves, but that is typically how long I wait. Congrats and enjoy...[p]Wess

• BBQBluesStringer
    Options
    Peggy,
    After 17 hours in the smoker, I pulled mine at 195 yesterday. I wrapped it double in foil, wrapped that with a large beach towel, and threw the whole thing in a small cooler. 4 hours later I pulled it and it was still too hot to handle. As long as you insulate it well, you can rest it for a fairly long time.[p]Conga Rats to you! Enjoy your piggies!

• Peggy
    Peggy Posts: 122
    Options
    BBQBluesStringer, Hi! I read your post below. Where do you get the rub and sauce you were talking about?

• BBQBluesStringer
    Options
    Peggy,
    I order it directly from the maker, Ken Stone. I sent you an email with Ken's address. You can also get it from his profile. Just find one of his posts, and click on his name to get the profile. You could not deal with a nicer person![p]BBS-[p]