Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Polder Problem Solved.....

Options
QBabe
QBabe Posts: 2,275
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Happy Memorial Day Everyone![p]It's been a wonderful weekend, and here in N. Central Florida the weather has even cooperated...and we've kept the smoke rising for pretty much the entire weekend. Here was our line-up:[p]Thurs: Meatloaf[p]Friday: Chili[p]Saturday: Cajun Shrimp and Scallops and Stuffed Portabellas as appetizers with Oriental Tuna for the main course[p]Sunday: Smoked Deviled Eggs and slow smoked Chicken Thighs[p]Today: 2 8lb pork butts and a 7lb brisket with grilled garlic bread, coleslaw, and egged beans[p]Before starting the pork butts last night, I decided to check my remote thermometers since the last two times I used the polder, I had problems with the butt not wanting to move past 170°. Both the polder probe and the 2 maverick probes all read properly in boiling water, so I was still at a loss about why I'd been having trouble. Just for grins, I switched the maverick and polder probes in the transmitters and lo and behold, I found my problem. When the polder unit had the maverick probe in it, it read 30° lower that with the probe that came with it (I can tell the difference 'cause the color of the end is different). [p]Anyway, I just wanted to share that in case others might have a similar problem....it was driving me nuts trying to figure out what went wrong...![p]Y'all have a great day![p]QBabe
:~)

Comments

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    QBabe,[p]I have about 8-9 probes and 4 different units that use them. It is hard to tell which goes to which sometimes and I wish I had color coded them a long time ago. I think I know which goes to which and I try to keep them with their proper units, but you are correct - they are not interchangable. I tried a polder type probe in the maverick wireless and it read dead on at room temp but way off at boiling temps. [p]Tim
  • BBQBluesStringer
    Options
    QBabe,
    I can be there in under two hours! When's dinner?[p]BBS