Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What is "Pittsburgh Style" searing?

Options
Julie
Julie Posts: 133
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
In the new BGE brochure (p.6 for those of you that have one), one of the reasons why the BGE is "Better than Gas Grills" is that it "allows you to grill meats medium rare, seared "Pittsburgh Style,", well done, or anything in between." Is this meaning seared on the outside and rare on the inside?
Julie

Comments

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Julie,[p]KennyG has a great picture of a Pittsburged steak. I love mine that way or maybe a medium Pittsburg. A Pittsburged steak is almost black on the outside and red in the middle. You cook it quickly over a VERY HOT fire to produce the heavy seared outside and still leave the center red. I like my center pink and that is a medium Pittsburg. It is impossible to do on a gasser because they don't get hot enough unless something else is added to make it hotter.[p]Tim
  • KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Options
    Julie,[p]We like these upon occasion. I documented the process a while back.[p]K~G

[ul][li]"Pittsburgh" style steaks from Cleveland[/ul]
  • Julie
    Julie Posts: 133
    Options
    Tim M,
    Thank you for your quick response. Right after I posted this question a customer came in to buy a BGE. I showed him this website and there was your response. He and his wife were very impressed by the quick and the informative response.
    Have a super Memorial day weekend everyone.
    Julie

• Smokin' Todd
    Smokin' Todd Posts: 1,104
    Options
    KennyG,
    Ahhhh the famous step by step PITT steaks I was refering not too long ago. Awesome play by play. You definatley have to caption where your temp reads 1100+ "kids do not try this at home"
    ST
    [/b]
  • djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    Julie:[p]Tim is special like that . . . I just cannot wait till he has a "fest" at the beach house! (smilie thingie) StumpBaby always looks for bargain vacations!
    [/b]
  • MAC
    MAC Posts: 442
    Options
    KennyG,
    Well I dreooled all over my key board. I did some ribeyes last weekend at 750+ and they were wonderful. You have to watch cooking them too long though. I did but they were still good. Nice pics Kenny[p]