Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spatch Chicken-rookie question

Options
CITYSWINE
CITYSWINE Posts: 48
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Tried spatchcock chicken for first time today.
Lit egg with MAPP, just a couple spots in the center, threw in a couple handfuls of soaked apple chips.
Plate Setter in with legs up and grill over that. Got egg up to 350 dome and let 'bad' smoke clear.

Chix rubbed with EVOO and some DP Raging River put on grill over drip pan with some potatoes.

Had the chicken in with dome between 350 and 400 for about 1 hour and 45 minutes. thought it was going to take an hour. Pulled it at 165 as my 3 year old was getting really hungry (and cranky) and wanted is 'egg chicken'.
It was moist and tasty but a bit undercooked in parts (potatoes were really good).

My question is should a spatched chicken take this long to cook? Am I being impatient or doing something wrong?

Had calibrated the dome therm when I put egg together last week. Used thermpen and knew temp of meat was low so that was my fault but questioning the amount of time as I thought an hour should be all it takes having read through some old posts.

Comments

• EGC
    EGC Posts: 448
    Options
    Did you cook a big "roaster" or a "young" chicken? I've had roasters take quite a long time when done indirect.
  • CITYSWINE
    Options
    it was a purdue roaster, that normally a 2 hour+ thing?
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    Hour and a half at 350 indirect, right on target. Next time try raised direct, one hour then.
  • Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Options
    That is why it took so long to cook.Fryers in my opinion taste a lot better than a roaster.Next time go direct raised at four hundred for one hour.Should be fine.
  • Broc
    Broc Posts: 1,398
    Options
    Don't lift the lid! Keep the dome closed!

When y'ere lookin' you ain't cookin' and the ingides of the soose jist ain't gettin' nuff heat!

B)
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    What indications did you have that the bird was undercooked?

What was the temperature in the breast and thigh when you pulled the bird?

GG
  • CITYSWINE
    Options
    Did lift the lid a few times so guess that did not help.

assume fryers are smaller than roasters?

don't have a raised grid yet so stuck with indirect for now.

Does the weber 18" cooking grate work for DIY raised grid or is it too big for a my large BGE
  • BullyC
    BullyC Posts: 142
    Options
    Hi Cityswine

I love chicken, maybe my favorite,
    I think best way to tell when done is
    stick a thermometer between thigh and leg
    without touching bone, If it was thawed out well before the cook, and let sit at room temp for 15 to 20 minutes or so, 175Degree
    should be done, remember what freaks people
    out is when they see red or pink at the
    bone, thats why 175-especially 180 it should
    be done. Also let rest for a few minutes too.
    165 is usually not done for me, too much pink
    or red at the bone. Good luck BullyC
  • usc1321
    usc1321 Posts: 627
    Options
    First off leave the lid down. :angry: You accomplish nothing by opening it. :silly:
    Second.. I always do my spatch direct with no plate setter. :laugh: I would recommend doing it that way. :woohoo:
    Good luck in the future ;)B)