Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Florida Eggfest Recipes

egret
egret Posts: 4,168
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
OK, guys and gals! Just three more weeks till the fest! :ohmy: I can't believe it's that close. If you're like me, you still don't know what all you're going to cook. :unsure: The only thing I know for sure I'm cooking is my award winning, first place chili.
However, Please send me your recipes ASAP. Even if you cooked the same thing at past Florida fests, I need the recipe again.
I'd appreciate it if you would put it in the following format to save a lot of editing time :

Ricardo's Pico de Gallo
by Richard Howe (Richard Fl)

Ingredients :

6-8 whole Tomatoes
1 medium Red Onion
1 bunch Cilantro, fresh
1 can Green Chiles, diced, Ortegas/El Paso or similar
1-2 whole Jalapenos, fresh
Juice from 1 fresh Lime
1/4 cup Wine Vinegar
1 dash Cayenne Pepper
Fresh ground Pepper, to taste
1/2 oz. Cuervo Gold Tequila, to taste (optional)
2-3 Tbls. Hot Italian Cherry Peppers, diced (optional)

Preparation :

Take tomatoes and cut in half against the stem, remove the seeds and any juices and discard. Dice tomatoes in 1/4 inch pieces.
Sprinkle with a little salt and let set for 30 minutes to remove more juices (prior to doing this, if you desire, lightly roast the whole tomato to remove the skin-gas burner or grill is best, but keep some of the burnt skin for flavor and texture).
Finely dice red onion, jalapenos, and cilantro (leaves only).
Mix all ingredients (best the next day-will keep refrigerated for about a week).

This is the way we like it,but play around for your taste buds, there are choices for each palate.

Also, it would be helpful if you did a spelling check before sending! :silly:

Comments

• Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    LOL still not a clue. If I do everything on my list then I do need to get there Tuesday! Do you want stuff that we will be cooking at the meet and greet too?
  • egret
    Yes, indeed!! :laugh:
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    that you'll put my recipe in intact with no "errors or omissions"? ;)

This is an important issue for me because when this recipe for Award Winning Sundown's Real Men's Chili is released to the world community there may be much unrest among the population! ;)

How do I know you won't try to copy my recipe so you will have a better chance at winning?

I'm soooo conflicted! :angry:
  • egret
    Now, Carey! You know you can trust me!! :woohoo: Otherwise, you'll just have to take your chances, old timer..... :laugh:
  • Gunnar
    Gunnar Posts: 2,307
    Send me a copy of the recipe and I'll safe gaurd it for you. :whistle: Love this smackdown, only wish I could be there.
    LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX
  • Sundown
    When I was 16 years old I used that same line on any sweet young thing I could get to hold still long enough! :evil:

And you expect me to believe you when you say, "You know you can trust me."?

I'm going to have to cogitate on this a bit. Maybe I should bring Xerox copies of my recipe to hand out just in case . . . :lol:
  • Mainegg
    LOL I wondered if Sundown would send his recipe into Egret??? Maybe you are a little "sharper" than I thought!! :whistle:
  • what??!!!??? you're not gonna make and post your world famous brownie recipe!!???!!!??

eggtoberfest08015.jpg

i mean, if your chili is half that good, you'll be in the cooking hall of fame!!! :whistle: :woohoo:

you better get practicing big boy. .. may 2nd isn't very far away!!!
  • He steals rib notes, rub, table space and knives IN FRONT OF YOU, what do you think he would be behind your back? :woohoo: :woohoo: :ohmy:

Mike
  • Sundown
    Max, you old pirate!

I have no problem at all offering the "worlds best chili recipe" to my brothers and sisters in the Cult.

As for May 2, I don't know if Gayle and I will be there but, rest assured, if things work out the way I hope I'll make chili in Waldorf!

That old man doesn't scare me at all except for the fact he's spreading bribe money everywhere! It must be killing him to spend the money he makes selling that vinegar he calls wine! :sick:

I heard on good authority he still has the first dime he ever made blue berrying! ;)

Stay well.
  • And guess who's table that ended on? He is telling anyone and everyone too try my brownies.

Mike
  • A recipe is a recipe...Just that! So it's either shared or not. Secrets are for the CIA, not us, that love to cook and eat!
    If someone can "make it" better than you can...Good for them ;) !
  • Sundown
    to have missed the point of this whole thing. There isn't a question about sharing my recipe I'm breaking John's chops about printing it faithfully. :)

In case you haven't been paying attention to our blather there's chili throw down in Ocala and my protagonist, egret, is willing to do anything to win the throw down. (Up to and including bribing anyone he can get to talk to him)

Egret is putting together the Ocala cookbook and I have serious doubts about his ability to accurately publish certain submitted recipes.

Did I not mention I would bring copies to the Fest to be sure the attendees got an accurate copy of the recipe? ;)

I do take into consideration John is older than I and he has "issues" his therapist has yet to discuss. ;)
  • Mainegg
    Do you really think he is holding it so no one else can make "his" chili? :ermm:
    did everyone's funny bones get sucked out when I was not looking in Feb??? :laugh:
    And what the heck happened with Pete? He is always up for a "fight" :huh:
  • Sundown
    Got no idea what happened to peoples funny bones or Pete but I intend to have as much fun as I can at Egret's expense! :evil:
  • Mainegg
    Sorry, I did not mean to sound off or hijack this thread which is important. I am looking forward to the cookbook that will be the result of Egrets hard work. just am sorry to see some things taken a little to seriously. but i guess that is the result of a large great group like this :) and a big family LOL all in the same . happy eggin to all :) Julie
    P.S. Sundown, I think that as your assistant I have been shameless in harassing you :silly: I will make no further comment about bringing a can opener to the fest for you and I will take these 10 cases of chili back to big lots and see if I can get my money back B) I will come to the fest in a clean dress and promise to keep my shoes on the whole weekend, this is very hard for me! I will even refrain from trying your manly chili..... I am just a weak little girly thing ya know.... :evil:
  • Sundown
    "I am just a weak little girly thing ya know...."

A bodacious Maine woman is more like it! :woohoo:
  • Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    This is what happens when I'm not around!!
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    I have an idea of what you're capable of doing...behind someone's back!!!

OklahomaEggFeat20056.jpg

The Chubbster has a long memory my friend!!

:woohoo: :woohoo:
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • Actually, No, I didn’t.
    I was just digging and my words in print didn’t add up to what was in my head…It may have been the brandy :ohmy: !!
    The CIA part was supposed to be funny. And the making it better part was meant to reflect the “morphing” of recipes; a Thomas Keller (of “French Laundry” fame) thing.
    Anyway…In retrospect, after now reading it (my post that is), it does seem to come across as a scolding or mean spirited…That WAS NOT my intent :blush: . Sorry folks!
  • Mainegg
    :):blush: I thought it was a little out of caricature for you :) that is the hard part with the written words on here. although Sundown does need a scolding once in awhile :S
  • QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    We get in on Wednesday and NEVER in the 7 years I've been hosting the 'Fest have I EVER cooked everything I had planned!!!

It's getting close...!