Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Slow and Low

Options
PCO3
PCO3 Posts: 50
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I noticed that without my plate setter, my vent openings are next to nihil to keep a slow and low 250 degree temp. With the plate setter, my bottom vent needs to be a quarter of the way open to attain and maintain the 250 degree temp, which I assume affects the rate of burn of the charcoal. Maybe I am not patient enough letting the dome get up to temp. My 5.5 lb brisket took 7 1/2 hours and my charcoal was 3/4 gone and spread out so maintaining a 250 degree temp at the end required me to take off the daisy wheel and open the bottom vent full boar. After the cook, I raked the ash through and piled the remaining charcoal let her go to see if the temp would exceed 250; well it did and made it to over 600 degrees.[p]Before I attemp cooks longer than this, what do I need to do to keep the fuel adequate for really long cooking times yet reduce the amount I need to open the dome. I guess it is ok once or twice during cooking but I know opening the dome is a general "no no". Thanks.

Comments

• CR
    CR Posts: 175
    Options
    PCO3, on my first overnight cook I also had the same problen that you describe and had to open the bottom damper all the way and rempve the daisy wheel to keep the temp at 250°, this was at about 10 hours in to the cook.[p]I think that the problem was not enough lump to start with, too many small pieces, and also some used lump. After correcting these items I have not had a problem and usually maintain 250° with about a 1/4 inch opening in the bottom damper and the daisy wheel almost completely closed.

• PCO3
    Options
    CR,
    Thanks for your perspective. You hit the nail right on the head. Actually my firebox was 80% - 90% full, however, most of my charcoal was not the big lump but rather the smaller broken up finger size pieces. I saw a post earlier today complaining of these finger size pieces versus have chunks of wood. I guess I will save the bottom of the bag for cooking steaks and other short burns.

• CR
    CR Posts: 175
    Options
    PCO3, I now fill my LBGE up to almost the top of the fire ring for overnight cooks and it lasts for 18 hours plus. The other problem with too many small pieces is that it can really alter the air flow through the Egg, making it difficult ot stabalize temps. I don't sort my lump but just use a mixture of all sizes and this works fine.

• MickeyT
    MickeyT Posts: 607
    Options
    PCO3,[p]I use a differnt form of temp control rather than the daisy wheel. I have had cooks on my medium past the 20 hour mark and still had lump left over. Bottom vent cranked all the way open while easily maintaining the 225-250 cook.[p]When mentioned on the forum, my system gets the hair standing on edge for a limited few here. Many more supporters I can tell you that.[p]In an effort to avoid that, I would be glad to tell you via e-mail.[p]Works great, Less filling. :>)[p]
    Mick

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    PCO3,
    You might want to read Elder Ward's writeup on this, and I have a write up on my first low and slow cook. Both are on my website. I filled my egg 1/2 way up the fire ring and did 230 degrees for 20 hours with plenty of lump left over. I had my vents cracked just a bit.[p]TNW

[ul][li]Low and Slow Pork Information[/ul]
    The Naked Whiz
  • PCO3
    Options
    CR,
    HOLY COW! I never would have even thought of filling beyond the fire box. I guess it doesn't much matter since you are using indirect heat and the unit is made of the same material throughout. Well for my next long cook will fill beyond the firebox and make sure that the mix is equally distributed with larger and smaller pieces. Thanks for the great "nugget" of information.

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,
    I followed the Naked Whiz's setup, filling just slightly above the 1/2way point of the fire ring (NOT the fire box).[p]I went 21 hours doing pulled pork (20 hour cook, plus an hour tempering the fire at the start, then put a brisket on for 6 MORE hours without refueling.[p]26 or 27 total hours, at 220. The daisy SLIDE was shut fully, the daisy itself spun so that about a third of each petal was open. Down the bottom, the metal vent was open a quarter inch, but the hole in the ceramic was only about an 1/8th of an inch. no problems maintaining 220.[p]had plenty of lump left too, when the brisket came off.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Steve-O
    Steve-O Posts: 302
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,
    Was this a direct or indirect set-up?

• PCO3
    Options
    Steve_O,
    Indirect setup.