Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chicken breasts on small

Options
Ike
Ike Posts: 291
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I don't have much experience on my small. I'm planning on cooking some boneless/skinless chicken breasts afterwhile. Gonna rub them then wrap with bacon. Should they be cooked direct or indirect and at what temp? Thanks up front.
Owensboro, KY.  First Eggin' 4/12/08.  Large, small, 22" Blackstone and lotsa goodies.

Comments

• vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    I do mine indirect at 400 degrees until the breast hits 160...they take 40 minutes or so...
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    direct at 350 or so and high in the dome.
    also use cheese and peppers
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Ike
    Options
    I don't have it rigged yet for higher in the dome and direct, can do the indirect though. Thanks guys!
    Owensboro, KY.  First Eggin' 4/12/08.  Large, small, 22" Blackstone and lotsa goodies.
  • Gunnar
    Gunnar Posts: 2,307
    Options
    You may want to slightly nuke the bacon (not much) just to give it a head start. It won't be that crisp in 40 minutes indirect. My wife insists on crispy, not fatty bacon.
    LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX
  • Ike
    Options
    LOL...know what you mean Gunnar, skipped the bacon and coated with some EVOO.
  • Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Options
    Cooking "Chickies" on the Egg is all about getting them up in the dome!!

Once done...you have times for both Direct,and Indirect applications.

Here's Some "Bacon Wrapped Stuffed Breasties"...Direct on a Raised Grid

BaconWrapedChickenBreasts.jpg

"ABT's & Sausages"...same Set-up

P10101332.jpg

Finally... "Sesame Wings"...Raised Grid Indirect...so the sugary sauce doesn't burn.

P1010034-3.jpg

Additionally...raising the grid will let you cook at a higher temp producing a better, crisper skin...without drying them out..or "burnage"!!

HTH!

Evans
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,504
    Options
    Morning Evans:

Hey, we will be getting a small Egg at Ocala to add to the collection. I will be sending you and email soon about getting the GrateMates.

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• Gunnar
    Options
    I like the look of those sesame wings. Would you mind sharing the glaze? I'm thinking some hoison sauce and some very very teryaki....
  • Chubby
    Options
    You're pretty close there...

I don't really measure but
    it usually ends up being something like:

Sirracha(sp?)for some heat!
    Hoisen Sauce
    Mirin Vinegar
    Honey
    Toasted Sesame oil
    Minced green onions
    Sesame seeds (for sprinkling at the end"

I gently heat to combine and then chill so It goes on the Wings cold/cool!

(The glaze hangs on much better if it goes on cold!).
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • Chubby
    Options
    I am sooo bummed Ann and I aren't on the attendees list this year!!

Who will save Egret...from Himself?

Who will keep Pete in Line?

And...who will be there to help you dispose of your unwanted BBQ equipment??

FloridaEggFest2006135-1.jpg

Good Memories...for sure!!

As to the G'Ms...I'll be around when you're ready!!

Evans
  • Chef in the Making
    Options
    I do mine at 350 direct to 160
  • I don't have any pictures of boneless but I do have a picture of some bone in chicken breasts on the BGE small cooker.

22MVC-001E.jpg

I start with an indirect setup in the small and this cook was done in two layers as I also did my scalloped potatoes on the upper grid at the same time.

22MVC-002E.jpg

This shows the potatoes on my upper grid in the small. I run this type of cook at about 350 degrees for the best results.

22MVC-004E.jpg

Potatoes done on cooker.

22MVC-003E.jpg

Chicken done on cooker.

Dipstick
    http://olddavespo-farm.blogspot.com/
  • SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,504
    Options
    Morning Chubby:

You and Ann (more Ann than you) will definitely be missed in Ocala. By the way, I'm still using those gloves, burnt spots and all! :laugh:

As for Pete and Egret I don't think anyone can keep either one of them in line! :unsure:

I'll send you an email sometime in the next couple of days (once I actually order the small). Is there any chance that I could have them here before Ocala so I could use them then? :cheer:

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• Chubby
    Options
    Your probably right on all accounts!

Yep , I can get them to when you need them...save a few days shipping time!

Evans
  • Chubby
    Options
    Long tome no Old Dave!!

I've been somewhat absent myself.

How goes it in Southern Indiana? Soon it'll be maple syrup time!

I just cracked open a bottle of "Hard Cider" I brought back from Oliver Winery.. over in Bloomington...tasty stuff!

On another note...he boys overat IU are pretty sad this year...not much to say about that...!!!

Hope you're well!!

Evans
  • Gunnar
    Options
    Thanks, I do traditional hot wings and not a big fan of BBQ wings....but I can just image the flavor on these.