Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fish basket

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Thanks to all for the pizza hints the other day. I have another question regarding fish cooking. Does anyone know of a basket that will fit entirely inside the grill without leaving the handle on the outside. When I use the one I have, it is long & narrow & sits on an angle inside the egg with the handle sticking out. I thought of trimming it down so that it would fit inside, but then the locking mechanism on the basket ( a sliding metal loop ) would fall off. It cooks nice, I was just wondering what other folks use. Thanks for your help.

Comments

• CR
    CR Posts: 175
    Options
    mark in msp, I used to use a fish basket on my old gas grill. Since I got my Egg I now use a grill topper; it is basically a metal sheet with a lot of holes, You can get them in a lot of different stores that carry BBQ stuff. You can choose to turn the fish or not. Since the Egg cooks like an oven I usually dont flip the fish.
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    salmonClose.jpg
    <p />mark in msp,
    I prefer to cook fish right on the grill. Sure it won't work with thin delicate filets, but with most pieces an inch thick or more it works great. I cut them into manageable pieces first to aid in flippage....and only flip once beore the halfway mark. Never used a fish basket so can't advise there.[p]If you are interested in a grill topper like CR mentioned, this place has a nice stainless one. The non stick ones don't hold up to well with higher temps.[p]great weekend, and beers, to you!
    Chris

[ul][li]Nice Stainless Grill Topper[/ul]
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Love Handles
    Love Handles Posts: 253
    Options
    mark in msp,
    I got one that fits inside the egg, with no handle sticking out. I got it at WalMart and I think it was advertised as a basket to hold chicken, but it works great for fish. In fact it was made to go on a rotissere and is kinda oblong. You can turn it over anytime during the cook. I've made shrimp, scallops and fish with it. See-Yaa