Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ribeye

Options
BuffaloChip
BuffaloChip Posts: 106
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just bought my first whole boneless ribeye. Local butcher had them on sale this weekend.

DSC01471.jpg

12 all together 10 like this and then the ends. Each weighed 18 to 26 oz.

DSC01476.jpg

Ready for the freezer except the ends for dinner tonight.

DSC01477.jpg

Plan to hot tub in hot tap water for about an hour then sear at 600-700* for a 1 1/2 to 2 minutes a side. Looking for something between rare and medium rare. I know it should be eaten rare rare but working my way toward that. Suggested internal temp? And what about the rub. Will it burn or just use some salt?

--Dave

Comments

• IndependentGrocer
    Options
    Hate to tell ya Dave, but I have ribeyes for $3.99 lb this week. Price has dropped drastically on certain cuts of meat. :whistle:
  • BuffaloChip
    Options
    Your store isn't in Maryland. :(

His regular price is 11.99. But he has no competition other than your favorite store, Wal-Mart, which is ten miles away.

--Dave
  • IndependentGrocer
    Options
    Yeah that's not really too bad a price. Just want folks to know a bad economy sometimes has advantages. Supply and demand means alot!
  • BullyC
    BullyC Posts: 142
    Options
    Hi Buffalo chip

If you meant thawing them out in hot water,
    I was always taught the wrong thing to do,
    thaw out in cold water, is actually faster.
    I love to marinate mine in my favorite
    steak sauce that you get from a store,
    Then my Best seasoning on steak, and I have tried most is Montreal steak seasoning. get
    in any grocery store. then your right,
    get egg to 600-650 sear for 2 minutes or a
    tad more, not more than 3 turn do again,
    then all I do is shut my top vent, leave the
    little holes on daisy wheel open and finish
    off. the temp will come down to between 400-500 degrees, I just turn every 2 minutes until I think done. Don't put a
    probe in steak, that will let juices run out. As far as when done, that takes experience, feel with finger or fork, if still very soft its probably still rare,
    If gets too hard to touch then probably
    well done, Only by doing do you get the feel for it. remember if cut into it and not done enough you can put back on grill for 2 minutes, but once overdone, your done. Last let steak rest for 2 minutes before cutting. Juices stay in better that way. Good luck BullyC