Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ceramic Cap Sticks

Options
ColoradoCook
ColoradoCook Posts: 152
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Wow, I think it's been a good 5 or 6 years since I've been on this site. I use to come here every day. Good to be here again.

Does anyone have a suggestion or technique for cleaning the soot from the inside of the ceramic cap? My cap sticks so bad that I need to use the ash tool to pry it off. The iron adjustable cap is easy...bake it off, can you do the same with the ceramic and not ruin the green glaze?

Also, what member here has that site with pictures of Egghead tables?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions?

CC

Comments

• loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    nakedwhiz.com for the table pics
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    turn your cap upside down with something to keep the brim horizontal - like a tin can even - and pour in household ammonia and let it sit overnight. In the morning pour out some and then use a stiff brush to clean the inside. Just be careful of the fumes - in fact cover it with cardboard or Saran Wrap for the night.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • CrazyDavey
    Options
    Call me Davey Capstick. LOL.

What I do is place the ceramic top in the BGE when you are done each cook until it cools. This serves to burn out the cap a bit.
  • RRP
    Options
    hmmmm, I know people who put Miss Daisey inside to burn it off, but putting the ceramic cap inside instead is a new one to me as it will take longer for a fire to snuff out thus actually creating even more creosote buildup.
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Options
    I don't think I have ever used my ceramic top. I do put a cover on the Egg after it cools.

I made that easier, by building a wooden frame that sits on the table, over the Egg, so that it does not have to be cold when I put the cover on.
  • RRP
    Options
    to each his own - the ceramic cap will snuff your fire much quicker than even having Miss Daisey closed and certainly quicker than no cap. You might try it sometime.