Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Any Tips on Van Camping and Your Green Egg???

Options
PuppyBreath
PuppyBreath Posts: 47
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
would love to hear about eggin 'on the road'... for example, i wonder how long it will take the 'small' to cool down before packing it up and another one would be, how do you stabilize the thing in your van (i don't have a camper, i just have a toyota van)...
another would be, how do you organize yourself re: foods, spices etc... and of course.....
anything i should really NOT do???
Thanks In Advance
Pup

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    VermontQ.jpg
    <p />PuppyBreath,
    I'm in the middle of a marathon spice grinding/mixing session this weekend, but I s'pose I am qualified to answer your questions with over a dozen Q camping trips under me belt! Man. I wanna go right now. Not much tops a nice peacefu time in the woods with your cooker along.[p]As far as the cooldown, I normally cook breakfast sausages, and some chicken legs to save for lunch, in the morning with a very small load of charcoal, then remove the charcoal into an aluminum pan with water. Once you get the hot charcoal out, leave the egg open, and it should be cool enough to pack in an hour or so.[p]Stabilizing? Do you have tiedown hooks in your van?? I do in my pathfinder, and I use a ratcheting strap to secure it. It needs to be strapped down somehow as it is not the most stable thing to drive around with. With care and attention, you might be able to pack enough stuff around it to secure it...if you don't have tiedowns.[p]For organizing (not like I am a very good organizer) I use those plastic tubs with the lids on them. Spices, sauces, condiments, utensils, plates all go in one, and Q accessories go in another.[p]Things you should not do?? Well, don't forget anything. I once made a second grate out of birch sticks when I forgot my other grate.[p]Also, handle and store your food with care if you are in bear country. Even little critters can cause some pretty good havoc if you leave stuff laying around when you go on a hort hike![p]Have fun! Where are you headed??
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Options
    Hey, Chris, I've never been on a hort hike. Sounds interesting, though. ROFL! Have a great weekend and keep up that grinding![p]Jim
  • Earl
    Earl Posts: 468
    Options
    ribs-potatos.JPG
    <p />PuppyBreath,
    I take two large eggs up moose hunting every October & tie them in the back of my pickup or load them in a trailer. I have not had a problem yet but i do take everything out of them in case they bounce about. The guy's are spoiled up there now. Just one of the meals as well as fresh walleye when we wanted.

• Earl
    Earl Posts: 468
    Options
    rib-dinner.JPG
    <p />Earl,
    The ribs were great with cold beer but the left over potatoes were fantactic cooked up for breakfast in the morning. They had a very mild smoke flavor that went well with bacon & eggs.[p]

Cheers
    Earl

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    PuppyBreath,[p]We've been camping with our small since last September and LOVE it! We use bungy cords to strap it in and they work pretty well. So far we have not had any problems with it moving around.[p]We do like Chris does, as far as "egg"cessories...we use one of those large boxes with the lid and put all our normal stuff (i.e., polder, firebricks, second grid, ash tool, starter cubes, matches, foil, etc.). All of our camping gear, except for the big stuff goes in these kind of boxes and I keep a camping checklist that now has egg toys included. I put the spices on the checklist, but don't keep them in the box when we're at home. No sense having them get old just sitting in the gear box....[p]I can't imagine EVER going camping without my little green egg again! You will love it once you 've tried it![p]QBabe
    :~)

• PuppyBreath
    PuppyBreath Posts: 47
    Options
    going to Whitby Island... mmmmm fingers crossed for some sunny days ))).
    Pup