Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Some Eggheads....

Options
PhilsGrill
PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So my buddy I used to work with calls me and says that his food on his egg is never as good as I have on mine because I always say it's great. He also mentions about indirect cooking and he has issues with it. Long story short, he did not have a plate setter. He was using a pan about the size of the V-rack on top of the grate. Well, I head over there and we go to a local BGE store and buy a plate setter, and extended grill and place an order for a cast iron to get him on track. Back at the house, I check his egg and it needs a 'cleaning burn'. Before we start I dollar bill check his gasket, perfect! I ask "Have you calibrated your thermometer?" He says "huh?" Boiling water the thermometer ready 250-260. He wondered why it always took a long time to cook stuff. I also found out he was putting his food on right away when the egg was at 'temperature', not waiting for the white smoke to clear. Here is what I found total that he needed help with.

1. Indirect cooking, not using plate setter, but small pan. Too much heat around the food and too close to fire.
2. Thermometer read high 40-50 degrees.
3. Putting food on right away not waiting for VOCs to burn off.
4. Using way to much wood chips on each cook. A huge handful and a half.

We got him on the right track and he is all set to enjoy his egg better now.

It's amazing, I traveled all over the world with this guy teaching computers. He can navigate pretty well as I drove, but sometimes I just have to wonder ;) .

He also ran out of beer while I was there.

Comments