Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Asparagus

luis70458
luis70458 Posts: 48
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
What is the best way to cook asparagus on my new LBGE???

Comments

• BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    I season mine with some EVOO and S&P and put it directly on the grill.

I cook it direct, on a raised grid, at anywhere from 350 - 400.

You can also finely mash some garlic and add it to the EVOO before you coat the asparagus and you can add your favorite rub as well.

It is a little more trouble, but you can also wrap single pieces with proscuito and grill them or pin them together with bamboo skewers and wrap them in proscuito

It is hard to mess up.
  • I do it a couple of very tasty ways:

1 - simply coat with EVOO, sea salt, fresh black pepper and some minced garlic. On the grill at regular height in the 350-450 range. Rotate as it cooks - won't take long. When you see some good char marks, you're good.

2 - A little EVOO, salt & Pepper, wrap in prosciutto. 350-400ish until the prosciutto crips up a little. Very yummy.

Good luck!
  • Jinx Bob! Too funny, I hit enter on my response and yours was there.

BobS wrote:
    I season mine with some EVOO and S&P and put it directly on the grill.

I cook it direct, on a raised grid, at anywhere from 350 - 400.

You can also finely mash some garlic and add it to the EVOO before you coat the asparagus and you can add your favorite rub as well.

It is a little more trouble, but you can also wrap single pieces with proscuito and grill them or pin them together with bamboo skewers and wrap them in proscuito

It is hard to mess up.
  • Gunnar
    Gunnar Posts: 2,307
    How quick does the prosciutto crisp....I get flack if the asparagus doesn't have a minor amount of snap to it?
    LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX
  • The prosciutto actually insulates the asparagus a little, so make sure you cover the whole stalk and use thicker stalks, but if you're at 400-450, the "bacon" will crisp up in about 6-7 minutes. I'm with you on the soggy asparagus thing...not ideal.
  • And it's CHEAP now, too! Found some fresh, medium thick-sized for $1.49/# at Albertson's last week :silly: Cooks a lot quicker on the Egg than in the old gas range. DDDEEEELLLIIISSSHHH
  • JPF
    JPF Posts: 592
    I agree with all that everyone up above has said. I like mine best with bacon wrapped and s & p with olive oil. Prosciutto or pancetta would crisp up real quick for you if you didn't want your asparagus to get very soft. I cook mine at 350f to 425f raised up in the dome. Here was some I did:
    120408008.jpg
  • 2EggTim
    2EggTim Posts: 170
    Ditto. Salt, Pepper, & EVOO.
    IMG_2292.jpg
  • Roudy
    Roudy Posts: 431
    I agree with those above about simple seasoning: EVOO, salt, and pepper (although recently I've substituted Dizzy Pig Shakin the Tree). What I'd strongly suggest however is after cooking them on the Egg, toss a few of them with a good quality balsamic vinegar. I cook both asparagus and mixed veggies (red, yellow, & green peppers, crook neck yellow squash, onion, mushrooms) the same way. :woohoo:
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    I wrap my asparagus in aluminum foil with a little butter and DP Shakin' the Tree. I let it cook for 30-40 minutes indirect usually while something else is cooking.
  • I just put some dizzy dust on them and cooked them direct.

I don't think anyone mentioned, but holding a group of them together with tooth picks or something similar made it a heck of lot easer to handle on the egg. Of course you could also add bacon or ham to wrap them for a special taste. But whatever you do it will taste great.

ross