Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sunday Brisket

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey All - Put 6.29 lb brisket on 1:00a.m. this morning. Rubbed down the nite before w/Wild Willy's & a little French's mustard - dome temp 250 - small chunk of red oak. Went to bed 3:30 holding steady at 250 dome, by 8:30 dome temp had risen to 275 (need new gasket), & internal temp was 174. Tweaked vents & brought dome temp down a little, & internal has dropped 12 deg to 162 & holding. Used to panic when this happened - know now to let the mystery be. Timing of briskets remains elusive for me; pork butts seem a lot more predictable in their behavior; at least they have been for me. Guess Spring Chik & 5'er 29 are right - practice, practice, practice...ERIC

Comments

• fiver29
    fiver29 Posts: 628
    Options
    E.B.,[p]I agree. I finally had the best brisket I ever barbecued today. It was both tender and juicy and cut like butter. My guests commented on how easy it was to cut with a butter knife.[p]I'm looking forward to my next brisket cook. Maybe a brisket/pork butt combo.[p]John

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Strongsville, Ohio

Yes.  I own a blue egg!  Call Atlanta if you don't believe me!
    [I put this here so everyone knows when I put pictures up with a blue egg in it]

• Unknown
    Options
    fiver29, Sunday's brisket (6.29lb) was best yet. Really wierd cook though. Put on at 1 a.m. Sat. nite, @ 250 dome. By 8 a.m. Sun. morning dome had climbed to 275, w/internal reading 174. Dropped dome temp to 250-260, & internal temp began to fall (no big deal-seen it before) Stabilized @167, but after a while it begin to fall again. Internal eventually dropped to 149(!), where it stayed a couple hours. Maintained dome @260, & eventually internal began to climb. I figured that was that, but @192 internal, temp fell back to 188. Dome temp had not wavered. Was getting later than I had figured on, so tweaked vents & brought dome up to 300. After about an hour, internal temp began to climb, & I pulled it at 203, wrapped in foil, & set in cooler for 1 hour. Result: best brisket yet. So tender you could almost spread it with a knife, & nice & moist. Total cook time was 16hrs on the egg, plus one hour in the cooler. Go figger. Am used to seeing temp drop during the collagen plateau process, but never saw a 25 degree drop before. Thermometers were all in working order & calibrated: double checked afterwards to make sure. Briskets are a different animal - every one I've done has been different. Sometimes the're done in 6-7 hrs, some are over 20. Safest thing seems to be to start early & allow for cooler time. This was first time I allowed for an insulated rest with brisket, & I wonder if that might somehow allow for available moisture to redistribute within the meat. Oh well, guess I'll just let the mystery be...ERIC