Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Whats Your Egg History:

Options
Pork Butt Mike
Pork Butt Mike Posts: 2,584
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I started out with my first Egg (Large) back on Jan. 06, and learn so much from these forums. When reading some of the post and seen how many Egg Heads owned more then one Egg I was so surprised and kept thinking why would anyone need more then one Egg.

Well here it is now 09 and own 3 Eggs (Large,Small, and Mini on it's way. I understand now why and the need. So thanks to all the Egg Heads for your help and your knowledge that you gave out to all of us.

100_0686.jpg

Comments

• Eggmoramus
    Options
    PBM, if you are asking me about my Egg history I just purchased my first one 10 days ago.
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    Got my first large at the Florida Eggfest in 07 and on the way home I had quite a consversation with kayNOcook about our second Egg for our NC home. Got a medium at the 08 Eggfest.
    No name for the large yet but the Medium is Suitcase as he now travels, Suitcase has been to Georgia,Florida and North Carolina. He also went to the 16th Annual Father Son campout in Sabastion FL 260 fathers and sons attended and Suitcase was a big hit.
    Jupiter Jim

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Options
    Ditto that Mike...I think it was around the 4th of July of 06 after years of outdoor cooking on various gassers, charcoal grills, and tin can smokers I wandered into a local dealer looking for a new gasser and got sold on a large egg...within a year I had a small to go along with it..so far I have not needed a 3rd egg but I'm sure there may be one in my future one day...after all..it's probably less about 'need' and more about 'want' :laugh: now I cook on at least one egg from 4 to 6 times a week :blink: ..I too want to thank all the contributors to this forum for hundreds of tips, recipes, inspiring photos, and limitless help...
  • TomM24
    TomM24 Posts: 1,366
    Options
    For the last year and a half, I and my wife have resisted the urge to get a small or a mini.
  • Smokin Tiger
    Options
    I have had my large for about a year and a half and cook on it at least 2-3 times a week, sometimes 5-6 times a week. I have been "needing" :whistle: a small or a mini, but have resisted so far.... :laugh: :laugh:
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Options
    Tom..cant speak for the mini..but most days it's jus me and the wife eatin and you will NEVER regret the small.. it's great for having a side dish or pot of beans goin while you're cooking the main dish(es) on the large and some evenings we jus throw a couple of steaks or some burgers on the small and don't even light the large! give it up and get a small ;)
  • bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    Options
    You want me to tell you about my history with my Egg? I am a southern gentelman, and I don't kiss and tell.
    :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: But I will tell you this. My fire grate is made from ceramic not cast iron.
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • StratoEgg
    Options
    I had reached the gasser fork in the road in the spring of 07. We had moved from Washington state to New Jersey and the gasser was in need of some parts or replacement.

I searched for the combination of low and slow but the ability to sear. I was pleasantly surprised to find the Green Egg website and this forum. We purchased our first Egg (large) from a local dealership in Medford and then the medium came during the Pennsylvania Eggfest of 07. We have been pleased with the results and the capability. The gasser was put aside and my neighbor took it off my hands. Needless to say we have never looked back. I expect another large in my future to replace my medium or so I tell my better half. But the results speak for themselves.

But like it has said many times before this forum has many fantastic contributors with helpful tips, hints, recipes, and inspiring photos at almost all hrs of the day, night and holidays. Hats off and a hearty thank you. Did I mention salmon tonight.

Cheers,

Big Al
  • "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Options
    Hey Mike,great post.I got my first egg(medium)on Fathers day 04'.Egg #2 (small)came 6 months later in December 04'.I didn't find this forum until Febuary 08' though :blush: Then in March I found a deal too good to pass up.That was my barely used XL for $600 with nest and two platesetters :cheer: And then the mini came in September and the chiminea in January :woohoo: I enjoy them all,and wouldn't part with any of them :woohoo:
  • Pork Butt Mike
    Options
    Oh Tim,Tim,Tim now your showing your age. :lol:
  • bubba tim
    Options
    At least I don't act my age.. :silly: :silly: :silly:
    btw, I finaly added links to my egg-site and you are there.
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    Good morning Mike...I got my first egg in 1990 and it grew to 2 mini eggs, 1 small, 1 meduim,1 large,1X large and a BGE Chiminea.I don't think we will be getting anymore.

Larry

8bdd.jpg

97a6.jpg
  • Crimsongator
    Options
    I am not sure my memory is that good. I first SAW the egg at a friends house in 00-01. I remember thing what is the world is that crazy green thing. He laughed and told me it was the best purchase he ever made.

Fast forward to 05 and I ran back into the egg again. I researched it for about 4 months and finally bought our 1st large in the fall of 05. We were on traveling to see family in Christmas in 06 and everybody asked why we didn't bring the egg with us to cook.(we had already made plans to buy a 2nd) So on vacation I pourchased out 2nd large and brought her home with us.

In fall 07 I was in Atlanta for business and picked up a small from the mother ship. "Trey" is our travel egg. For Christmas this year, I bought my wife her very own mini. He is Wally and resides in the garage.

So I truely believe in supporting dealers. We now own 4 eggs from 4 different dealers. Oh the joy of the egg (sorry for the long post, but i am helping PBM with his reading exercises for the day....LOL)
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Started reading the old forum back in 1999 or 2000, got my first egg, a large, at the Waldorf Eggfest in 2001...Now the collection includes..1 XL, 1 LG, 2 SM, and a mini, with a BGE chiminea to keep em all warm...and of course we had to build this to keep em all dry... :):) 17 fests and a country of new friends/family later..here we are

table1.jpg
  • Crimsongator
    Options
    How can you have a tab for "helpful Egg sites and include BBQcamper. It has never been helpful to be. Too much of a yapper on bbqcamper AKA bork bellie mike
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    1990 !!!!!!! Doesn't that qualify you to run antique tags :laugh: :laugh: Best to you and Kay and Jenny
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    Got my large in 04, stumbled across the forum a little while later, I just went back & found my first post, kinda funny reading it now, I actually thought I had a problem:

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=87434&catid=1

After joining the forum last summer, I was quickly forced to purchase the mini :) , it's all bill's fault, and I thank him
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    Hey Wess I am a antique.LOL....My first egg was clay and I gave it to a friend a few years ago.Hope you and Sally are having a great weekend.
    Larry
  • lowercasebill
    Options
    having been referred to as the mini moron,, a title ceded to zippy when he put his on the roof,,,i vote for the mini.. someone posted a whole spatchcocked on one yesterday. just me and the younger pit most of the time it sits next to the kitchen door and gets used more than the large.
  • lowercasebill
    Options
    got a large in 2005 a mini in 2006 chimnea in 2008 have resisted the urge to buy a small or medium so far but only because i do not know where to put it and i need to build a table.
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    bill, if tools & whatnot for building a table are preventing your expansion efforts, you are welcome to come down to my laboratory, we can knock out a table in about a 1/2 a case of beer:

IMG_1728.jpg
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • Cincykid
    Options
    My lovely wife purchased the XL for my first Father's day in '08. A couple months later I bought a used Small for $200. Now I spend my time plotting to add a Large to sit between Fat Man and Little Boy... :whistle: :laugh:
  • bubba tim
    Options
    Damn Gene, You are full of energy this am. I found it useful, that's because I can read. :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:
  • Pork Butt Mike
    Options
    I understand that my site has no information that you need or want and I can complete understand why. Gene, you don't know how to cook, I don't know why you are going to Ocala because you will never learn anything in your life about cooking or how to use BGE. So if my site is not helpful to you please, stay off it because I only want respectful Eggers and campers to visit me. Not a lowlife person like yourself.
  • Michael B
    Options
    First Egg: Large, Thanksgiving of 1987
    Most recent: Mini, a few days ago. Should actually receive it next Friday.
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    I got my large on Father's Day 2006, when we moved into a smaller home (temporary move - but lasted 2 years!) that didn't have a gas grill. Gas was the ONLY way to go back then. HA! That's until the BGE came along. I found the forum back then, but life got in the way and until spring 07, I just cooked steaks and various easy cooks on it.

I got challenged to a "Butt Off" by another egger and the people (large party) chose mine, hands down! That got me involved in more interesting cooks.

This fall I "refound" the forum and have been involved in learning more advanced cooks, plus I discovered the CGS and DP rubs. We are in a new house (Spring of last year) and looking to add an outdoor kitchen - I think a 'small' will have to be in our future!

Word has gotten around and a reporter from the state-wide paper called me yesterday and will be here Tuesday for interview and pics at a large birthday family cook I will be doing - NZ leg of lamb and NZ sides.

Thanks to the many posters on this forum. Your unselfish time and advice is invaluable to newbies and re-newbies like me. :woohoo:
  • bubba tim
    Options
    now it is going to start....look out eveyone :evil: :evil: :evil:
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    In May of 2006, it was obvious my ECB wouldn't make it thru another season. Had been thinking about getting an Egg for maybe 2 years. Went to the dealer, and after I stood around, pulling my lip for a few minutes, the sales lady came over, talked the Egg up a bit, and made a very good offer on a medium w. nest.

About a week later, found this forum. Was astonished by the range of foods people were cooking. Was already kicking myself for waiting 2 years. The next spring, got another medium so I would have 2 different temperatures available, and as much grill space as a large and small.

Am waiting for my daughter and new son-in-law to get to a place where they can have one of the mediums Egg, and then can get a large get muself.
  • Crimsongator
    Options
    Naw, mike is not very vicious, but he is kept on a short leash by Sabrina
  • Pork Butt Mike
    Options
    WooF Woof :blink:

See ya Ocala buddy.