Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gasket problem with my new egg not cool

Options
Harleydog77
Harleydog77 Posts: 217
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My new egg is about a week old. I have cooked on it every night. tonight I was trying to do pizza. I am actually having trouble getting it up to 500. I just went outside and lifted up the lid at 430 and the gaskets are melting off the grill. Yes I calibrated the thermometer on the lid so I am not at a much higher temp accidentally. I don't know what to do. I have to make pork butt starting tomorrow night. I do have the replacement gasket supplied with my egg, but I dont want to put it on if this is going to happen again. What should I do?

Comments

• Woody69
    Woody69 Posts: 360
    Options
    There is tons of info on here about this. I had the same thing happen to me. You did nothing wrong. It is an adhesive problem. Call the mothership and get a nomex gasket,without adhesive and install it with 3M 77, and you will be set.
  • Semolina Pilchard
    Options
    What Woody said.
  • Harleydog77
    Options
    Will my egg dealer have these gaskets in stock? Can I use it while I wait for the new gasket? Has anyone ever had gasket flavored pizza? It is horrible.
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    Maybe they will. Mothership will get it to you for free. Yes, you can cook without it. Just loosen the bands and reposition the dome so it is flush. Good luck.
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • Semolina Pilchard
    Options
    The only info I can give you is a few months old, but to my knowledge no dealers have the nomex yet, you have to call Egg Central. Like 4Runner said, loosen the top band and re-adjust so the dome is sitting as flush as you can get it on the dome.
  • Salguod
    Salguod Posts: 130
    Options
    I had the exact same problem with my new egg. YES, my dealer was able to get the nomex gasket without adhesive the very next day. I installed it with 3M Super 77 and everything has been wonderful ever since. I really wish that BGE would just supply all new eggs with the nomex gasket put on with Super 77 so this problem would be ENDED. The felt gasket is adequate IF it stays on, but GBE has a real problem with the adhesive. The nomex gasket is simply a superior gasket to the felt in every way. The Super 77 is a much better adhesive than the peel and stick.

Just put on the nomex with Super 77 and you will be golden. I sympathize with your plight and I’m sorry that you had to suffer through this. But stick with BGE, and stick with this forum! You will find happiness.
  • Everyone, yes, everyone bitches about the cost of buying a new Egg.

Imagine what factor the cost is going to go up if the factory has to install the Nomex gasket.

I'd be willing to bet you'll be looking at $100 or more added to cost of a new Egg.

Cooking without a gasket is pretty standard for a lot of people on this forum and, like me, cooking with a nearly nonexistent gasket works just fine. I installed the last felt gasket about 4 years ago and it's compressed, greasy, burnt around the edges and still my lump goes out every time I close her down.

From the sound of it sometimes you'd thing the dome just fell off and cracked into a hundred pieces.

Jeeze!
  • TXTriker
    TXTriker Posts: 1,177
    Options
    My dealer had the nomex gaskets about two weeks ago. These were without the adhesive. Maybe some dealers are beginning to get them in stock.
  • luis70458
    Options
    what is the phone 3 to the mothership?? I dont see it in the manual
  • TXTriker
    TXTriker Posts: 1,177
    Options
    (770) 934-5300

This is what I have.
  • Semolina Pilchard
    Options
    You can also call (770)938-9394
  • Salguod
    Salguod Posts: 130
    Options
    I certainly don't want to jack up the price of a new egg. It is high enough now. But they really do have a problem with the gasket adhesive. It would cost BGE almost nothing to just toss in a nomex gasket with the new (felt gasket) egg. The nomex gasket comes with installation instructions, so the customer would just have to buy some Super 77 and slap it on.

That would prevent much grief at very little cost to BGE.
  • bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    Options
    A temp fix is to scrape off the old gasket and use the BGE with out it. Just close gentley so you don't chip the edge. When you have the time and want to see how to did. go to my site and look under projects... :woohoo:
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP