Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Scouts and cooking

Options
blackgrass
blackgrass Posts: 54
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I wonder how many of you guys started cooking while in Scouts?

I like good food and it didn't take me long to figure out that if I was going to be out in the woods for a week I better learn how to cook. ;)

Anybody else get their start with hobo dinners and dirty eggs?

Comments

• Rusty Rooster
    Options
    Not sure I started there, but I sure have done a lot of that through the years. Matter of fact, before heading to Mike Davis class @ BGE next Saturday, I am cooking breakfast for 70 adult leaders. We have one meeting a year and next Saturday is it. This is always a hungry crowd.
  • Inksmyth
    Inksmyth Posts: 308
    Options
    My old scoutmaster was an extraordinary outdoor cook.
    He is the one who showed me better things then a hotdog on a stick.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Even before I was in the scouts, I had been pouring over my dad's manual from the '30s. Following the instructions, I went out in the woods, carefully built a teepee fire, skewered a fresh thick pork chop on a sharpened green stick, seared the chop, and let the fat be the butter on the bread I wrapped around it so I could eat it with my hands. My first cook out, and haven't stopped since.
  • opod
    opod Posts: 41
    Options
    i absolutely started in scouts, and still cook for scouts. smoking 3 pork shoulders tomorrow for upcoming court of honor. i'm embarassed to say, i have never learned how to cook "indoors." about 1x/week when i do dinner it's on the egg outside. paella, jambalaya, spatchcocked chicken, smoked meat, grilling or the dutch oven on the egg. don't use the oven. don't use the stove. i probably could but i guess you do what you're comfortable with and what you're good at.....
  • Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Options
    We were pretty good cooks back in my scouting days. I do remember my first Hobo Dinner from when I was a Cub Scout...Wolf I believe.

Went right from Scouts cooking to my first EGG at 18 years old. Haven't looked back since.
  • TXTriker
    TXTriker Posts: 1,177
    Options
    I can't say I really started cooking because of scouting. I do remember my mother pushing me to finish my cooking for my cooking merit badge. This was about the last thing I needed to get my Eagle pin. I have never stopped thanking her for pushing me to do that even though she's been gone for many years. I do more cooking now than I have ever done. When I was in between marriages, I cooked but I also ate out. Since getting my egg, I cook out more than I ever have before.
  • Crimsongator
    Options
    Doing it now with our 8 yr old. The small has made the trip twice so far.
  • Crimsongator
    Options
    I am doing pulled pork for our blue and gold banquest on the 21st. I think there will be about 130 there.
  • jeffinsgf
    jeffinsgf Posts: 1,259
    Options
    Same here. Started my outdoor cooking career on Scouting trips. My patrol was the most sought after to join for that reason. Our family camped quite a bit, and I did a lot of the cooking there, too. I did most of the grilling from the time I was about 13 on. Dad was good, but he knew I was better.
  • Midnight Smoker
    Options
    13? Impressive!! I didn't acquire my grill skills until later in life, probably around 30.