Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Proud New Egger

Options
SoDak Wayne
SoDak Wayne Posts: 23
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We recently moved to the Black Hills, and when we moved we left our old brickett grill behind, and committed to owning an Egg. Unfortunately, we had to wait until our old house sold, which finally it did, and then Egg shopping we went. We selected the LGBE, w/table, plate setter, ash tool, grill tool, and finally got it delivered. Last night, Ribeye and NY Strip, medium rare :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: . Our first Egg Heaven experience.. Thank God there isn't a law about enjoying something that much. As good as I hoped it would be, was so far away from how good it was!! It's Salmon tonight, the adventure has begun and continues.
I've been reading the forum for a couple of weeks now in preparation, it's been a blast, and all of you sharing your experiences, pictures, and ideas, is great. And now I are one, too.... :woohoo:

Comments

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    It only gets better, welcome to the club. -RP
  • Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    Options
    Welcome aboard. I have a problem trying to figure out my favorite food off the egg. Everytime I cook I say "thats my favorite cook" and then the wife reminds me that I say that everytime. :cheer:
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Welcome to the other side Lots of good people and advice here ;)
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Congrats on buying the Egg, and selling your house. As you've probably noticed from the forum, you can cook pretty much everything on the Egg. And usually, it comes out realllly good!

I here there's some fierce winds around the Black Hills. If true, wind whistling into the bottom vent is the one bit of weather that can mess up an Egg cook. I have mine positioned to avoid the prevailing west winds where I live. Other than that, rain, sleet, snow, thunderstorms don't phase the Egg at all.
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    Welcome to the clubb...and don't forget the pictures...we love pictures

As Big 'Un is fond of saying: before his family eats they know it is P & P which stands for prayers & pictures.... :laugh:
  • Firetruck
    Firetruck Posts: 2,679
    Options
    Welcome to the cult. It's the most fun I've ever had cooking. As we speak I'm cooking two butts for buckboard bacon, my first try at it and I'm happier than a puppy with two peters. One word of warning. YOU WILL PROBABLY GAIN WEIGHT, so watch out for that.

BTW I like the sign off.
  • Seidegger
    Options
    New House needs a new egg...that was our thinking...

I just feel lucky the first grill I ever purchased was a green egg (only cause I asked someone once at a bbq store what that ugly green thing in the corner was and then did research)
  • SoDak Wayne
    Options
    gdenby wrote:
    I here there's some fierce winds around the Black Hills. If true, wind whistling into the bottom vent is the one bit of weather that can mess up an Egg cook. I have mine positioned to avoid the prevailing west winds where I live. Other than that, rain, sleet, snow, thunderstorms don't phase the Egg at all.

Yeah, there is an occasional breeze here, my wife was raised here and since we're both retired, we wanted to come back. Our Egg location is facing east, so the direct wind is rare. Those dampers sure work great!!
  • SoDak Wayne
    Options
    vidalia1 wrote:
    Welcome to the clubb...and don't forget the pictures...we love pictures

As Big 'Un is fond of saying: before his family eats they know it is P & P which stands for prayers & pictures.... :laugh:
    Well, like the say goes 'best intentions...', I was going to do a before and after, but dang, just tooo anxious for the first delight. We'll do the pics tho, just couldn't wait this time...
  • Rooster K
    Options
    Welcome aboard! I grew up in South Dakota so I am very jealous of your new location. Take some pics when you are cooking in negative degree weather just to freak out the folks down south.
  • reelgem
    reelgem Posts: 4,256
    Options
    I've got the same problem. :) I don't think you can ever have a "favorite" cook.
  • reelgem
    reelgem Posts: 4,256
    Options
    Welcome! The fun is just starting.
  • SoDakEgger
    Options
    Welcome, Wayne. You are living in a great community, in a beautiful location, and have a great grill.

I used to live in Spearfish before I headed back to the big city of Sioux Falls.

Enjoy that egg!!
  • SoDak Wayne
    Options
    SoDakEgger wrote:
    Welcome, Wayne. You are living in a great community, in a beautiful location, and have a great grill.

I used to live in Spearfish before I headed back to the big city of Sioux Falls.

Enjoy that egg!!
    Thanks, we love it here, and now with the Egg, it's even better.. I have 2 brothers living in Sioux Falls, they like it there, so good for them, but they don't have an Egg.... :sick:
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Options
    Wayne,

Congrats and welcome to the EggNation!
  • WokOnMedium
    WokOnMedium Posts: 1,376
    Options
    Welcome from a fellow midwesterner. The egg is a beautiful thing cuz no matter how cold, I can still maintain 250 for 8 hours without batting a frozen eyelash!
    New myself and the welcome was so friendly.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    SoDak Wayne

Happy to see you aboard! It just gets better

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• BBQMaven
    BBQMaven Posts: 1,041
    Options
    Enjoy, it is hard for non-eggers to understand.... but we do!
    Kent Madison MS