Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lid/Dome Tolerances

Options
Trojan Bill
Trojan Bill Posts: 8
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
After 10 days and 7 cooks, I have burnt the felt gasket. Read lots of good stuff on the forum and assume for now that I got an Egg with faulty adhesive on the felt. When cleaning the lip I notice that with the gasket gone, the front of the lid rests on the bottom, and there is a gap of approx 3/16" at the back. Is that correct/acceptable? The set-up was done by an authorized dealer. It's a Large (24").

Thanks

Comments

• civil eggineer
    Options
    That is probably correct. If you think about it as the front is lifted the back raises by a much smaller amount because of the arm length. If there was a gasket on the top and bottom in the front it would probably be up 1/4" with the back matching that same amount. Get a nomex replacement without adhesive attached and use Super 77 spray adhesive. Good Luck!
  • Trojan Bill
    Options
    Thanks for the quick response--makes sense, there was no noticable smoke leaking before. They included a replacement gasket which I think I will install to get back to cooking. Where do I get the nomex gasket? Is is a BGE product?
  • Harleydog77
    Options
    I recently bought a large egg. I put it together myself. The guy at the store said that you need to do a paper test. Insert paper in a few spots around the seam where the top meets the bottom. You should be able to pull it out but there should still be tension on the paper. This makes sure that there is contact all the way around. If there isn't, leeking out with the smoke is heat. That can cause a burnt gasket.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Make sure you ask for XL ( X-Large )gasket if you do have the 24" model.
    If you ask for large gasket you will be short on your 24" XL.
    Darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • fieroguy
    fieroguy Posts: 777
    Options
    The Nomex gasket is a BGE product. Call the Mommyboat and get one.

Mike
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    it should sit flat with the gasket back in place. seems to me that a few had troubles with the first few xl eggs not sitting flat and they removed the springs to fix the problem. i believe that has been addressed and fixed so see what happens with new gaskets.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    OP - I did the same exact thing as you. Fried my original gasket and then noticed a gap in the back. Actually posted my gap “issue” as well. It wasn't until I loosened the bands and then dome lid settled down flat that I realized it wasn’t and issue. I had made up mind if my third gasket didn’t hold I was going gasketless and would settle my dome lid on flush and get to cooking. It doesn’t seal like with the gasket but it looked pretty flush to me. Anyway, get your new nomex and you shouldn’t have any problems. Good luck
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • Trojan Bill
    Options
    Thanks to all. I'm really happy with the first few cooks, and anxious to see how well I can do. This gasket seems like the only ongoing issue I'm reading about.