Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BEFF TENDERLOIN QUESTION

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am thinking about cooking a beef tenderloin and need some info on cook time and temps. Direct or Indirect? Any suggestions would be appreciated, as you know this is an expensive piece of meat and I do not want to mess it up.
Thanks,
Mark

Comments

• Joel Ferman
    Joel Ferman Posts: 243
    BIG BOY,
    There are a myriad of different ways to cook beef tenderloin, but my personal favorite is apply some rub, wrap it in bacon, and cook it indirect @ 325 with a few hickory chunks until your desired internal meta temp is reached..... usually somewhere around an hour, depending on the thickness and your taste preference.
    -Joel

• BIG BOY,
    haven't tried this on the egg yet, but you could try it in the french style (i know anything french isn't in fashion right now, but that shouldn't apply to good tenderloin). . .heat up a thick pan w/ olive oil on the stove to high temps literally till it almost smokes (i guess you could do this in the egg as well). . .throw in a load of chopped garlic. . .salt and pepper the meat well (use kosher salt). ..brown the whole tenderloin on all sides in the garlic/oil pan (this only takes a coupld of minutes. . then roast the thing in the same pan at around 325 till done (preferably rare - med rare). .. it will be nicesly browned on the outside, beutiful red on the inside. . .cut it into slices about 1/2 to 1 inch thick. . .if you want some complimentary sauce. . after removing from the pan, deglaze with some red wine, then through in a stick of butter, some salt and pepper to taste, add a little more wine or butter to get the consistency you want. .. you can't go wrong. . .[p]enjoy[p]max

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    beef%20tenderloin.jpg
    <p />BIG BOY,
    I like to sear mine around 600-700. Then take off and cook indirect around 250 until you have the desired internal temp.
    There was a drunk and dirty tenderloin recipe that was pretty good. Maybe Tim or Gfw has it.
    Good Luck,
    CWM

• WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Car Wash Mike,[p]That's no tenderloin....... That's the biggest shrimp I've ever seen!

• Car Wash Mike
    WooDoggies,
    Kinda looks like that. Maybe our friends on the right coast could help?
    What is the difference between large shrimp and prawns?
    The reason I love the whole tnederloin for guests is that the short end is well done and large end is medium well.
    Now you have thinking about grilled shrimp.[p]CWM

• Trout Bum
    Trout Bum Posts: 343
    BIG BOY,
    The link below are my favorite beef tenderloin recipe.
    It's never failed to impress.
    B D

[ul][li]Stuffed Tenderloin[/ul]
  • WooDoggies
    Car Wash Mike,[p]Well, according to the Merriam-Webster....
    "Prawn: any of numerous widely distributed edible decapod crustaceans (as of the genera Pandalus and Peneus) that resemble shrimps and have large compressed abdomens;"[p]And the Concise English Dictionary says, " a small edible shrimp-like crustacean."[p]I jez calls them critters, 'shrimps'..... and I eat them at least once a week.... one of my favorites anytime, anyway, anyhow.[p]Lately I've been skewering them, sprinkling with Tsunami Spin and grilling fast and eating them while they're hot.
    My family favorite, since I was a kid, is to skewer, grill fast and just before they're done, brush with melted garlic butter. Awesome![p]Tonight is spaghetti alla cabonara and a nice merlot.
    Tenderloin is good, too. :~)[p]John[p]

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    WooDoggies:[p]Spaghetti alla Cabonara . . . With parsley or cilantro? Smoked bacon?
  • WooDoggies
    djm5x9,[p]No greens this time around for the pasta.... just used what was in the fridge.
    Ingredients were freshly grated parmesan, eggs, hickory smoked bacon, olive oil, salt and pepper and hot pasta. [p]Just plain decadent is all I've got to say about that.[p]Hey, are you done with your travels? Haven't seen you post much lately..... kinda miss your commentary on this board.[p]John

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    WooDoggies:[p]Thanks for the kind words . . .[p]I recently had to make a job change as the poor performance in the commercial Real Estate business is squeezing the Hell out of us in the construction market. The last ride was good for a pleasant six years. If all works well I see this ride lasting at least two years hopefully much longer. Unfortunately, the trade-off for food on the table required a little travel this time around. A little ray of sunlight is a laptop with an AirCard . . .[p]The Princess called me at the office and told me there was a single chicken thawed for grilling. Naturally, I explained the rules of chicken to her . . . Minimum of two birds to be grilled at a time! Smoked with a bit of apple wood and served with Brussels sprouts from the garden and spicy yellar rice!
  • WooDoggies
    djm5x9,[p]Yeah, there be a lot of squeezing across the board right now.... but the pendulum always swings back.
    I wish you well with your job change!

I haven't fired up the grill since last week and seems I've got quite a few new rubs in the mail since then.
    Where to start...... think I'll get a big ole package of legs and test them all at the same time and eat myself into a tizzy.[p]Cheers and Beers, Dude.
    John

• WooDoggies, now you're talking....get a big package of drummettes, fix them with varying rubs, and then see what you like the most. I think that's the best and easiest way to give the rubs at least a preliminary test. If you don't like one, you've "wasted" less than a buck. Personally, I'm partial to the Jamaican Firewalk, Raging River and Tsunami Spin (at least for wings).

• ravnhaus
    ravnhaus Posts: 311
    BIG BOY,
    Here is how I do it.

[ul][li]Beef Tenderloin[/ul]
  • Car Wash Mike ,[p]How do you get the temp back down to 250 after having it up to @ 700 deg.[p]Thanks,
    Mark

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Big Boy,
    Having multiple cookers helps! If not, try covering the fire with new lump and shutting the vents for a few minutes, then opening a small crack. Might not get to 250 real quick, but you should be able to get below 300 within 15 minutes or so.
    Beers...when the time comes!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Car Wash Mike
    Big Boy,Add more lump and close all vents, it takes about 15 minutes.[p]CWM
  • Car Wash Mike
    Nature Boy,
    Which one of those fantastic rubs would you recommend for a whole tenderloin? Actually, half of one. I had the wholes cut in half before I froze. Breaking 1 out this weekend.[p]CWM

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Car Wash Mike,
    Cow Lick first. Qfan's concoction is righteous on all beef. Then prolly the coffee-based rub....if you have enough of the sample left.[p]Then again, I got an email from someone that said they cooked the best steak ever with the Swamp Venom (Dust), though I have not tried that on beef.[p]I was in Costco and saw some of those beautiful tenderloins today. And some whole ribeyes. And...and....and.....I wanted to buy, but could not Fortunately it is only 3 miles to Costco. hehe.[p]Have fun!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ