Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza Pizza help

Options
TheRub
TheRub Posts: 6
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey all, I have been havibg trouble getting my large egg up to a hi enough temp to do pizza. I have done all the usual stuff like clean it out thuroughly, lots of fuel everything wide open, long heat up time etc, and wonder if it is the way I have it set up. I have been using my placesetter inverted, and putting my grate on top of it, and my stone on top of that. While I can get it up to 550 or so this way, I am looking for more like 700-750. Any ideas would be welcome and appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Your setup sounds fine to me. It takes time and fuel. I like to get everything stabilized at a little under 500 for 20 minutes or more. Then when I put the pie on, I open it up to get up over 600. My only guess is you have 1) not enough fuel, 2) not enough time, 3) inhibited airflow due to ashes or small bits of charcoal and dust.

Good luck.
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Double Bogey
    Options
    You might also want to check to see if your firebox is aligned properly with the lower vent. If not it will sure cut down on the air flow.
    Larry
    Aiken, SC. and
    Fancy Gap, Va.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Use a wiggle stick in the fire grate to get more air flow into the lump.

Fuel + Air = Heat.

It is going to take a little time to get all that furniture and the egg heated up to those temperatures.

Sounds like you have your pizza stone about gasket level. With that setup and that temperature watch out for gasket problems - if you have stock felt gasket.

GG
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    You didn't say what size your stone is, but if it is 16" or larger it could be restricting the airflow. -RP
  • BoneDaddy's
    Options
    I wait until I get up to 500 before I put in my placesetter/stone....It should take under 15 minutes to get to 500.
    Bone Daddy's Competition BBQ & Catering
  • TheRub
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I will try all these. Also i have sen pictures where the stone is on small feet. I think that might help as well. Any ideas where to get them?